Password Protecting SD-Card Data

Anyone know how data on an "Secure" Digital Card can be secured?

I'm designing an embedded arm-based board that uses a standard SD/SDHC Card for storage, and I'd like to secure certain partitions by password protecting them from reading/writing.

The only built-in protection I've been able to find is the SD Card's Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM). Apparently the use of this DRM with their SD Secure API, requires licensing the keys (device, media, etc) and c2 algorithm (256 byte secret constant) from

4C LLC (IBM, Intel, Panasonic, and Toshiba.)

The SD Card Association (SDA) website shows an "Embedded SD" specification, but haven't been able to find much more info about it (including the spec itself, nor any card that supports it)

How best to secure data from reading/writing on an embedded platform using whatever built-in mechanism is on the sd-card.. but with no licensing fees? The sd-card is connected to the pc via an arm using usb mass storage .

Thanks!

Reply to
benn

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:20:06 -0800 (PST), benn wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

If you don't want to pay the licensing fee, you can't legally use the secure features of the card.

You can always encrypt the data yourself, using whatever algorithm you like and a key you select, before writing it to the card.

--
Jack Klein http://JK-Technology.Com
FAQs for