Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

We recently purchased a new Dell computer that does not have a parallel
port built into the mother board.  So far all of our attempts to use a PCI
parallel port card have failed.

Is anyone using a Wigger on a PC with a PCI parallel port card?

Did you have any unusual problems getting it to work and how did you solve
them?

If you do have it working, what brand of PCI parallel port card did you
use?

We have tried a SiG and another unknown brand.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

I've come to the conclusion that it is _impossible_ to perform embedded
development with parallel port-connected emulators, etc. using
legacy-free PCs. I keep old machines, and SPARE old machines, lying
around specifically for this reason.

I've had exactly the same sorts of problems as you describe with
hardware for several different micros, and in all cases the only
solution I found was to upgrade to USB versions of the
programmer/emulator hardware.

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP
This may be slightly off topic, but I have Ti's XDS510PP (the old one
without plus), and I have problem running it on newer Intel machines
that have P4 core. It works on all AMD machines and on intel P3
machines and older. I have tried several motherboard/CPU
configurations/BIOS setting to come to this conclusion.

So DOM maybe it is processor and not the port card.

To Noway2:
You speak of utility that can slow down PP speed. Can you share it name
and where could I obtain it?

Mitja

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP
You didn't mention your intended application, but assuming it is a
piece of equipement it is possible that you are running into a timing
issue.  My company purchased an emulator / compiler system back in
2002, which uses a parallel port dongle (gag - ack) for the compiler.
In order to get it to work, it was necessary to run a utility that
slowed the timing of the parallel port down and the faster the
processor in the computer the larger the scaling factor had to be.

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

I had similar problems using a parallel port wiggler for Motorola DSP56F800
series micros.
The solution was to change the parallel port from ECP to standard
bi-directional mode. As far as I know this can only be done via the PCs BIOS
settings. After making this change the wiggler worked fine.

Jim
www.picmodules.com

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

Note he was talking about PCI cards, not onboard ports.  The BIOS
should have nothing to do with the behaviour of such a thing.

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

For PC's without a parallel port you need to install a PCI card or use an
external device. If you install a PCI card you will find (as I did), that
the BIOS settings need adjusting. I installed a Lava PCI card and after
emailing the manufacturer I ended up changing the BIOS settings to get it to
work.

So, in this case the BIOS did indeed help to configure the PCI card.

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

Recently i installed one for use with HASP, to in the driver there was the
possibility to change these settings in the driver under devices

Kasper

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

You need to be able to force the PCI parallel port to
"Legacy Mode". This is often easier said than done.
I managed it with a parallel card based on a chipset
from Oxford Semiconductor. I did not get anywhare
with the supplied drivers, but I found DOS based software
on the Oxford Semiconductor site, with which I could force
the chipset to be mapped to the "Legacy ports". Windows
then picked up the card as a legacy port, and I could
use it for wigglers etc. I suspect if you can find cards
that officially support DOS, it would work.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Parallel Port Wigglers PCI Cards and XP

I don't have a wiggler, but my embedded systems are connected to the host
via parallel ports for cross debugging. To be able to connect 3 systems at
the same time, I added a PCI card from SUNIX (http://www.sunix.com.tw /).
Downloading over the SUNIX ports is faster than over my legacy LPT1 port on
the motherboard. The SUNIX ports support Centronics, ECP, EPP, etc. I quite
happy with this card.

Peter

Site Timeline