Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC

hi there,

my current project involves designing a circular sonar-sensor array to
be incorporated onto a mobile robot.  the hardware design i had in mind
was simple - the sensors would communicate with a PIC via I2C, which
would then transmit the readings to the laptop on the robot.  i managed
to implement the I2C interface between the PIC and the sensors.  i now
need to establish communication between the PIC and the laptop on the
robot.  the laptop has two ports, a USB port and a parallel port.  i'm
pretty sure it's much easier to try to develop a parallel port
interface.  could somebody guide me through this process?  i don't know
if this complicates matters, but the laptop on the robot is running a
real-time operating system called QNX.  if there are any other details
i can provide, please let me know.

any help would be appreciated.  thanks,

rajiv

Re: Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC
www.lvr.com

Re: Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC

Hi.

Typical.

Again typical.

Unfortunately becoming more typical by the day.

I don't think so. The right way to do this is to interface to the USB using
a USB to serial cable. The reason is that serial interfaces and programs are
well established. Going the parallel route you'd have to develop software
on both ends of the cable.

The other reason this is smart is because you can then test everything on
a desktop with a real serial port before committing to the USB to serial
cable.

Consider this alternitive before committing to the parallel port.

BAJ

Re: Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC
snipped-for-privacy@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) wrote in

Even desktops are appearing with no serial ports now, although it is
still easy to find cards that will add a serial port or two or more to
the desktop.

--
Richard

Re: Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC

Parallel port interface are as easy as serial, but it takes too many
wires.

USB
and

Another option?
Create a serial connection via the parallel port. Perhaps something is
already available for QNX. I'd imagine QNX gives complete control over
time, so you could bitbang if you had too. There are lots of bitbang
illustrations for the PIC and the ideas would be the same for the PC
side.

Re: Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC
byron,

first off, haha, love how you reduce my weeks of works to
'typical'-ness.

the problem with using serial-to-USB chips (like the ones FTDI makes)
is that i could not find any QNX drivers for them (if there are, PLEASE
let me know).  i found third party QNX drivers for FTDI's
parallel-to-USB chip (chip: FT8U245AM, third party drivers:
http://gleb.qnx.org.ru/index_en.html ).  using FTDI's virtual COM port
driver, transmitting data from the PIC to my windows machine was
trivial.  but i could not install the third party drivers on the QNX
laptop on the robot, so that route was not an option.  i am not
competent enough to write my own driver.

but for this hang-up i agree with you, serial is the way to go.

any more thoughts or suggestions?

rajiv

Site Timeline