Palm V rechargeable batter details

I want to port my home-brew OS to a palm.  I narrowed my choices to
the III and the  V.  Because of the better screen and a couple of
other details, I've decided on the Palm V.  However, I noticed it has
internal rechargeable batteries.  So, I assume I need to do a few
things to make sure they charge when the unit is in the cradle.  I
looked through the ucLinux source and there's not enough info about
it.  It's probably controlled by an fpga and I really don't want to
count on being able to reverse engineer this.  Or maybe the cradle
handles everything via some dedicated pins to the batteries (would be
nice), but I can't believe the OS doesn't intervene/assist in one way
or another.

Anyone have the details?  I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Palm V rechargeable batter details

Why would you assume that the charging depends on software?

I would think that the cradle is wired in such a way that certain 'pins'
carry the power, and automatically start charging the battery when in
the unit is in the cradle.

I realize this makes certain assumptions about the internal wiring of the
Palm unit as well, but it seems so much simpler to have the charging
process be hardware instead of software. (Or doesn't KISS apply to
hardware design?? :-P)

--
Lenroc

Re: Palm V rechargeable batter details

Lenroc,

KISS doesn't really apply to products like this for hardware.  Keep it
CHEAP does.  Having a separate chip(s) to monitor battery life, charge
rates, etc. adds cost, takes up board real estate and adds to the
power consumption.  All that translates into extra $$ and when you
sell in the quantities this product does, even a dime makes a
difference.

Jim

Site Timeline