Pager call standards

One of the features of a product I'm working on is that ability to call
a beeper if there is an equipment problem.  At first I thought this
would be easy, but it seems there are no standards on modem calls to a
beeper.  Most pagers use voice prompts to leave a message, and don't
support paging with a modem call.  Anyone dealt with this and have any
ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Pager call standards

It always happens, can't find anything, ask a newsgroup question, and
within minutes I find what I need.  I found info. on TAP, which looks
like what I need.  Would still appreciate hearing from anyone that has
been there done that though.

Dave,

Re: Pager call standards

In the past, I have used an analog cell phone with built-in modem
interface to place a call to a pager, then paused for answer and voice
prompt, then send DTMF digits which appear on the pager.  Generating
DTMF was a little tricky.  The open loop delay was the biggest problem,
since I didn't have any answer code.

Thad

Re: Pager call standards

http://www.skytel.com/partners/dev_resources_tap.htm

Before there were standards, it was a lot more difficult.

Site Timeline