"Owning" a domain name

I have a few domain names that I registered, but have not yet put into use. One of these was up for renewal and I didn't get to moving it to a new registrar before the term expired. I've looked this up on the ICANN site and they say that expiration of the domain name is not a valid reason to prevent a transfer.

Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied include, but are not limited to:

  • Nonpayment for a pending or future registration period

The registrar in question has put a User Lock on the domain name, I never use locks as they sound like asking for trouble. They won't let me remove the lock. This is covered under when they can block a transfer.

The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

  1. A domain name was already in =93lock status=94 provided that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.

I have informed the registrar of my desire to move the domain name and they have not been cooperative so far. I guess my next step is to contact ICANN. Anyone here had to do that before? Was it a PITA?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

It sounds like the easiest thing for you to do is pay the original registrar for one more year's service, then transfer to a new registrar later. ICANN is exactly the bureaucracy you would expect.

Reply to
larwe

Agreed. On the face of it, they did you a favor by locking the domain instead of allowing it to go back on the market and most likely get gobbled up by a squatter. Just pay up and then transfer it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Curiosity question: How much did the domain cost at the current registrar? I think the last two posters hit the nail on the head.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

freelance writer

Reply to
CleoWyatt

BTW, I did get the domain name transferred. In spite of the fact that they continued to tell me that I had to pay to "unlock" the domain, when all was said and done the process does not require them to participate. The domain transferred ok and I didn't need to pay their higher fee. INTERNIC must have had a lot of this sort of thing happen in the earlier days and now the rules prevent it.

As to the domain name getting gobbled up, the rules prevent that too. The 30 days between the expiration and the domain name being up for grabs is not something the registrar has a choice about. They just want you to think differently.

Rick

Reply to
rickman