OT:why a group of signals is called a bus? - Page 3

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

It's not just any set of wires. Anything can get on, anything can get
off. Many things can be on at once.

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?
do we black people have to sit in the back?       ;-)

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

No, but on sum busses (e.g. CAN) the 1's do get priority over
the 0's. (Or vice versa). :)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The Osmonds! You are
                                  at               all Osmonds!! Throwing up

Talking of which, an anagram of Martin Luther King is "lurking in the tram".

Paul Burke

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?
Why would black people have to sit at the back?

Is this some strange US custom?

S-V

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

Yes, up til about the mid 60s.  Look up Rosa Parks, Civil Rights.

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

My blonde blue-eyed mother did a reverse Rosa Parks in the early 50s. Not
knowing the strange ways of the USA she sat in the wrong part of the bus.
When people told her to move she said she was quite comfortable where she
was and stayed put. As far as I know this one-woman protest had absolutely
no impact on the civil rights movement.

Peter

---
Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?
@yahoo.com:

That is a really interesting way of quoting the prior message, I can't
fathom how your managed that unless you did it by hand.

Should have been more like:

sacre snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sacre Vert) wrote in

Richard

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

Oh dear!

Bus lines used to be big chunky copper bars that
linked power generators or transformers with
other transformers, lines, and alike.
Bus bars would be making the link
between all the devices in a plant -
any power may only be taken from or given
to the bus.

Possibly, in the early computers there would have
been copper bars running across all devices
and all data exchanged would go only through
these bars.

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?
Ah! Thanks 8-)

Re: OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

Actually, these bars still exist in most "simple" computers, including
most if not all typical embedded ones.  They're called the address and
data bus.  They're not one-inch massive copper rods any more,
obviously, but rather bundles of signal threads on a PCB, often
running all 8 (or however many) of them in geometric parallel to each
other.  They're busses in the "distribution of something" senses
because the number of devices attached to them is not limited by much
else than your imagination.  I also think these busses are the ones
that originally caused the second meaning to creep into the field:
that of a "bus" being any transport medium that carrys many signals in
parallel.