OT:why a group of signals is called a bus?

devices

Mmmm.... in many definitions, a bus is a single wire, cable or group of wires were every component is directly connected to that bus. The moment you need hubs or other devices that split the physical connection in more than one part, I tend to call that a network.

The fact that the USB consortium calls it a bus, doesn't automatically redefine the term bus. For all I know, they could have called it bus because the acronym USB sounds easier than for instance USN (Universal Serial Network).

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Think about the bus as an abstract/system concept rather than the physical/wire.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"... abstractions save us time working, but they don't
  save us time learning."
Joel Spolsky, The Law of Leaky Abstractions

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

The tricky part to keep in mind is that there are *two*, at least somewhat different kinds of things that people call a "bus" in electronics and computing hardware:

1) the "power bus" or "bus-type network" is essentially a cabling topology: a cable or signal line that runs along the apparatus, and when a part needs power or network connection, it just hooks up to it at some arbitrary position. CAN or traditional coax-cabled ethernet are busses, in this sense. 2) the address/data bus concept. I.e. when lots of signals ride in a package, on lots of nearby cables, that's a bus, for the same reason we call the thing that transports lots of people from one place to the other a "bus".

Coincidentally, address/data busses were, at least in their classic versions, a bus in both senses of this term, i.e. the address bus would run all along the mother board, and all major parts of a computer would connect to it.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

It's a synchronous bus, according to the schedule. However, there are occasional clock synchronization questions.

Yes. It's an unusual double-buffer scheme. I have seen as many as twelve DATA items waiting to get on the bus. Then once on the bus, items are buffered until delivery to their destinations. Interestingly each DATA item carries its own routing and destination information, making it a relatively sophisticated network, which happens to employ buses.

Average latency at any given point during weekdays is probably around thirty minutes, but maximum latency is around 13 hours. Ah, but think of the bandwidth! As the old joke goes, "don't underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of 9-track tapes." Which is particularly funny now, because both station wagons and 9-track tapes are long obsolete...

That's a good definition, and "relatively short distances" is a good descriptive detail. Just to be clear, I think when you say "in more than one direction" you mean that, for example, the information can go from a device to multiple other devices, and not that it necessarily has to be bidirection (i.e. both input and output). An address bus is a typical example of this.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset

It's not just any set of wires. Anything can get on, anything can get off. Many things can be on at once.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

do we black people have to sit in the back? ;-)

Reply to
George

I beg to differ regarding station wagons. They are just as popular in Europe as ever, and they seem to be undergoing a resurgence in popularity in the US (several new models introduced in the past year). Apparently, some people with SUVs that guzzle gas and handle like pigs-on-skates have finally figured out that they never really needed to drive off-road after all. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Jesus is my
                                  at               POSTMASTER GENERAL...

No, but on sum busses (e.g. CAN) the 1's do get priority over the 0's. (Or vice versa). :)

-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! The Osmonds! You are at all Osmonds!! Throwing up visi.com on a freeway at dawn!!!

Reply to
Grant Edwards
[...]

I guess we could update it.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of an SUV full of DVDs."

I wonder how long that will last...

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Talking of which, an anagram of Martin Luther King is "lurking in the tram".

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Ahh, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

--
Walter Mallory   walter.mallory@mbda-us.com
Reach, Connect, Celebrate, Grow, Serve

What would be the purpose of a piece of wire that fails to meet this lowly standard?

- FChE

Reply to
Frank Ch. Eigler

snipped-for-privacy@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@toenail.toronto.redhat.com:

To hold up a hanging plant?

More on topic: to provide power *from* one device *to* another (note no "back and forth"). To provide a power refernce to a device. To provide a signal of some sort in a single direction. To act as an antenna (OK, that's really just a special case of the previous example). To provide the means of measuring a force (tension) using a transducer of some sort.

--
Walter Mallory   walter.mallory@mbda-us.com
Reach, Connect, Celebrate, Grow, Serve
Reply to
Walter Mallory

Grant Edwards wrote in news:4166a4e3$0$409$a1866201 @newsreader.visi.com:

So should it now be a Mini-Cooper filled with DVDs?

What do you mean a resurgance? My wife's Suburban is really nothing but a tall station wagon. Well, a tall station wagon, with an extra back seat, mounted on a truck chassis: but that's beside the point. :-)

--
Walter Mallory   walter.mallory@mbda-us.com
Reach, Connect, Celebrate, Grow, Serve
Reply to
Walter Mallory

Not in the electrical power world. A single wire carrying power is a branch circuit or a conductor.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Um, where do you think the term came from? The power line, was often referred to as a "bus" (derived from the term bus-bar).

Power distribution _was_ the original "bus".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I wish I was on a
                                  at               Cincinnati street corner

Generally, with proper termination, a bus can be used to transport DATA in multiple directions from the point of origin.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

Ever seen a pig on skates? LOL Hilarious picture in my mind. But you've got to hand it to 'em that you can see 'em fly once they get the hang of it.... Short sturdy legs. And at that, four of those. A low center of gravity... Rocksteady... There's a catch, though... Can you guess what?

Waldemar

P.S. My 12 year old Peugeot 205 Automatic does better than 40 miles to the gallon, and with the present gas prizes I still call that guzzling... How about yours?

Reply to
WaldemarIII

"Meindert Sprang" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

because

Wrong, all wrong!!! USN stands for United States Navy... If I'm informed correctly. Otherwise I'll happily stand corrected...

Waldemar (having a great time reading this lovely OT thread...)

Reply to
WaldemarIII

Me too :) I never expect this little question caused such big debate ;-)

At the end, my friend accepted that the word "bus" was used becuase it carry multiple bits of information at the same time. Not quite correct for USB, but at least it is true for PCI bus and SCSI bus.

Joe

Reply to
Joe