OT: Thunderbird vs. Eternal-September

I have been having a number of problems ever since I got a new laptop with Windows 8. I'm not sure I can blame this one on Windows though.

I use Thunderbird to access newsgroups and it seems to mostly work most of the time. But it has never worked well under Windows 8. One recurring problem I have is when it updates the firewall has to be told of the new checksum. Usually updating that gets it working again. But this time something else seems to have happened.

First I couldn't get it to come up reliably. Most times it wouldn't find the files and would show no email or newsgroup accounts. Rebooting seems to have fixed that as it was waiting to run a new rev I guess or maybe was stuck in the middle of updating or who knows what. I had to update the checksum to let it on the Internet of course. But now when I start it up, it can't send any messages for a while. It appears that if I ignore it and return later it has regained the ability to send a post and works ok after that.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

My firewall is Sophos and Windows defender is disabled.

lol, I guess it isn't a matter of not working when I first load the program. I couldn't send this message after having sent others.

--

Rick
Reply to

Am 05.05.2014 23:11, schrieb rickman:

I had a problem with usenet on Windows 7/Thunderbird after the Heartbleed disaster not being able to read news at all. Following the advice on

I reinstalled the root certificate at Thunderbird and the usenet account. But I am not sure if your problem is solved so easily...

Reply to
Sebastian Doht

I use Thunderbird with Eternal-September without problems, but that's on Linux (my old Windows machine is XP - let's just say Windows 8 doesn't appeal to me). So I'd blame your woes on Windows as a knee-jerk reaction.

Reply to
David Brown

I have figured out my latest issue with Thunderbird. When I create a post, I have to have read a newsgroup within some time window in order to send the post. I have never seen this before. Anyone know what is happening?

--

Rick
Reply to

NNTP connections to Eternal September time out after a few minutes. However, your client should just do the reconnection automatically.

That's what happens with slrn; it just does the reconnect to Eternal September automatically and then posts my message.

That sounds like it might be a bug. Are there any automatic reconnect options within Thunderbird ?

Simon.

Simon Clubley

Yes, I found a setting called "always authenticate" or something like that. Seems I had turned it off trying to get it to work when the problem was the firewall.

I have had a *lot* more trouble with the Sophos firewall under Win8 than I ever did Vista or XP. I don't know what they did to Windows 8 but a year later Sophos is still missing some UI functionality. They used to pop up a dialog when a running process checksum didn't match providing a choice of updating it. Now I have to figure out on my own that a bad checksum is the culprit and then track down the offending file in the 1 TB of disk space I have. I just resolved a merry chase because IE updated and for lord knows what reason, there are two copies of it with different checksums. BOTH run and I chased that for three days before someone pointed me to a utility from MS called Process Explorer which pointed me to the correct directories. Seems both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions run when you start the 64 bit version. 8-*

--

Rick
Reply to