OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

In comp.arch.fpga Rich Grise, but drunk wrote: : But I'm probably biased - I apparently have mostly German Blood, which : is probably why the "Americanized" version of my family name is so hard : to pronounce.

I've always wondered, does the American surname Straub originate from a mis-reading of Strauss with an Eszett (German double-s) ?

Richard

To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Reply to
news

That sucks. The rules do vary from state to state a little. I guess Ca is more anal than most (?)

Perhaps you could take the exam in a neighboring state instead? AZ/NV?

Good luck!

Bo

Reply to
Bo

It seems a fine-line to walk between not getting enough applicants and getting too many (thus lowering the perceived value or 'exclusivity' of the PE club). In large part, I think the whole thing is just a huge money making scam-- the states make good money (and keep a significant perpetual income from annual fees), the Universities make money from review courses and of course the publishers make a killing on the prep materials.

It's looking like my venture is going to run about $1200 for fees, books, travel, etc. Multiply that by say 1000 examinees per year and it's $1.2million. Not bad, heh?

Nevertheless, if you want to play the game, you have to play by their rules-- as ridiculous as they might be (for example, no longer giving examinees their scores--even if they fail!)

Hoping to pass the 1st time around,

Paul

Reply to
Bo

Based on my experience in industry, I would say between 10-15% of people titled "engineer" do not have a degree (and practically none of them have a "license"). This has no correlation at all with quality of output, of course.

I'm actually now back at school to get the ol' parchment, because my workplace is only 15 minutes drive from an ABET-accredited college, and my employer has 100% tuition+books reimbursement with no annual limits. It's a great morale-builder, because the stress level is negligible compared with work. In fact I would almost qualify school as a leisure activity; I feel more relaxed at work during the school term because school gives me some problems that I KNOW to have answers.

If you have access to programs of this sort, I heartily recommend them... not that I place any intrinsic value on the paper, but it's handy to have and fun to acquire. Plus it expands your networking opportunities in several ways, useful if you're a consultant^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpolitically correct term for person doing this work without licenses/degrees/other bureaucratic irrelevancies.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Sounds very plausible.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Because it looks like a B to eyes not accusomed to reading German.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yep. Strauss Strauß

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

John_H

Hm. Sounds like a good idea.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

I wish i understood what you are complaining about. BSEE, PE (Electrical CA, USA)

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Among other things it is like MD licensing, it is of intentionally limited portability. Electrical engineers have it better than civil engineers in that comity is near universal (prove registration + pay the additional State's fees and you are in), but for civil's seismic requirements vary much more.

--
JosephKK
Reply to