OT: Perpetuum mobile

How did they make it? I got a new bluetooth headset and let it play music > 8 hours ago (phone on charger, headset on battery) and it is still running... Almost at the loudest setting. Quite audible from anywhere in a quiet (and when not so quite) room....

Must have a perpetuum mobile engine coupled to some tiny generator inside.

:D

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Naw, L has the *radio* playing in the other room! :>

Reply to
Don Y

It lasted over 9 hours on battery, looked incredible to me.

The battery must be in the left earpiece and the board in the right one, here it is:

The outside diameter of the earpiece is almost 40mm, it is about

15mm thick. Don't know how thick are the speakers but if say 5mm that leaves volume for a decent battery by todays standards, may be no perpetuum mobile after all :D. Still impressive, the sound quality is pretty decent - plenty for me, gone are the days when I tortured the neighbours with powerful speakers listening to music, I now listen only sometimes when out for a walk... anyway, decent - outright good really - sound quality, output stage must be some switcher, can't be linear and last that long, well made.

The only imperfection is that at times - rarely enough so it does not annoy me but could annoy someone - a few mS of sound get skipped, may be the radio loses the link (happens more when on the move I think). Or may be some clock sync issue between both sides, I don't know.

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Between advances in battery technology and circuit efficiencies, it's amazing what sort of performance levels you can achieve! I'm looking at a design that targets 12 hours of continuous use, yet small and inexpensive. Years ago, "no way"...

Looks similar to a BT headset that I have (but rarely use -- it's paired with one of my laptops and I rarely use laptops, these days)

I use a small iPod dock in the office and earbuds when out walking. The dock has decent sound (passive radiators for deeper bass response) and frees me from having to be "tethered" to while working.

Wee hours of morning is a bit more challenging as I've got to confine my tunes to my own two ears. My wireless (900MHz) headphones are too flakey (lots of momentary dropouts with head movement) so I've resorted to some old Koss headphones with a long coiled cord. I'm not keen on earbuds if I can avoid them; and "small" (diameter) headphones feel like toys.

Yes, as stated above, I have that problem with my wireless headphones (can't recall if I have seen it as frequently with the BT headset or earpieces). As I move around a fair bit while working (deciding which monitor to look at, which workstation to type at, etc.) it is far too frequent an event to be "tolerable". I.e., the coiled cord of the traditional headphones is less of an overall hassle.

Reply to
Don Y

So these (my bluetooth headset, that is) will feel like toys to you. In a sense they are, press them against your ears and the bass get much better - so they are smallish. But still very good for me, I'd rather loose some bass - or have to compensate using the equalizer - rather than having to wear something heavy. I leave these hang on a thread on my neck when not in use (I do all day long walks 2-3 times a week during the non-wintery days (5-6 months a year)). Then I also carry my camera (much of the walks are about birding

:-) ) and a backpack (almost empty but I carry it nonetheless).

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Probably. As I said, I've got what appear to be a very similar headset that I use with one of my laptops when traveling. Alternatively, a BT earpiece (obviously monophonic).

The headset seems to want to fall off my ears while I'm moving around.

The earpiece aggravates the skin/cartalage of my pinnae after a short while.

The (conventional) headphones are much larger and appear to hold their place more persistently. The downside being the coiled cord...

"Non wintery days"... don't you mean "(5-6 days a year)"? :>

When I'm walking, it's seldom for more than an hour -- usually 2 x 30min. So, the earbuds are tolerable for that short of a span. And, far more convenient than headphones (or headset).

Walks, for me, are "chores": get them over with as quickly as possible! 56 minutes to cover 3.8 mi (or, 28 for 1.9). Usually, choosing music that has a beat that is comparable to my walking pace. If I encounter a neighbor along the way, then things get delayed...

Reply to
Don Y