OT: Overflow on left side of web pages

Hello Folks,

It seems to become more prevalent and now I had some EE sites doing it: Obviously designed for wide-screen play computers the text rolls off to the left of the screen but the scoot bar doesn't make it visible even if pegged to the left. Is the art of "web site design" deteriorating another notch now?

More OT: What's the best place to get a super deal on a cheap laptop after Christmas? The kind where you don't worry if it gets banged a bit up during a flight or at a client's site.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I buy Toshiba Satellites at Best Buy or CompUSA on sale for under $500. Over the last 3 years I've purchased about 10 of them for work and family and they are all still running. One of my employees is happily running Ubuntu Linux on one of them.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Some web "Designers" intentionally turn off the scroll bars in an effort to force you to see their wonderous creation in a single page. They should be forced to go back to 300 baud, with only the DOS graphics set.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Interesting, I was already eyeing these. But twice when I showed up they were gone. It's a bit of a drive from here and they won't put one aside for pickup. OfficeMax did with the Brother All-in-One station a while ago. Well, maybe after Christmas.

--
Merry Christmas, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

They should be relegated back to flipping burgers ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hasn't that been automated yet?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I know its Christmas and all, Joerg, but they deserve to be grilled and flipped, AS burgers. Cook'em, and feed them to the bad dogs! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They don't flip them, but they are cooked in an automatic system between chain belts. One of the kids I'm teaching computer repair runs one at a restaurant, when they are short handed.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I second that recommendation. I have an old Satellite A15, and it has worked great for about 3 years now. The mechanical construction doesn't seem very solid, but it has survived two bad drops, one where the LCD section came apart and I had to snap it back together.

The only complaint I have -- and this may affect all laptops -- is the parts chain. The fan in my Satellite eventually became noisy, and it cost me $70

  • shipping to get a new one (the fan in my mind was worth at most ). Also, I'm missing a [rather specialized] screw from the case, and I have no idea where to get a replacement.
Reply to
David T. Ashley

... snip ...

Only when composed on the DeathStar 9000.

CBFalconer

Now that is a great endorsement.

Same with pretty much anything. Just bought a new leaf bag for the pool sweep. 4 years ago they were around $10, then $19, then $27 and now a whopping $33. For a piece of plastic and some cloth!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Between Jameco, DigiKey and Mouser, one would think that a replacement fan could be found that was decently priced. Concerning the screw, try Arow Components or Mc Masters.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...maybe make one from a garbage bag and rice sack?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have an A40 on the LAN here. It works ok, no trouble. It's about 2 years old and battery life is in excess of 5-6 hours. The only cause of concern is the high surface temperature of the mains module.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

I've never seen that. Can you provide a link?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Any that I've got started as a shiny new sales laptop where they_did_ mind when it got banged and so R&D get to inherit it.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Some McDonalds these days seem to have...

-- "Clamshell" grills that cooks the patties from both side simultaneously

-- Fry stations that fill wire baskets with fries from a big hopper and fryers that automatically lower and raise the fries

-- Automated drink stations that contain a carousel of cups... ice and beverage are dispensed automatically to the appropriate level (tops are still added by hand though)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Web designers have no idea what they are creating these days. Big problem with WYSIWYG programs. They don't bother to look at the source to see what crap they're putting out. Examples:

. Their home page is Flash! Talk about a stupid idea. Great way to turn away business. Unfortunately, companies have no idea how broken their web sites are.

also uses Flash in the most important part of their home page, navigation, just so they can have a animation for investors.

--
Mark
Reply to

And enough beeping Sonalerts to drive any sane man insane. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What I hate most are websites that resize my browser window. Especially the ones that enlarge it to full screen. Totally idiotic on a 21" 1600 x 1200 screen.....

It is MY desktop and noone should "rearrange" it.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang