OT: open news servers?

I need a new news server.  My local one misses too much stuff lately.
I remember seeing a post here a while back that identified some decent
open/free news servers.
Can anyone point me to some?

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

Re: open news servers?

Hi Scott,

    I've been pretty happy with www.teranews.com.  They have two levels of
service, and the free (nominal setup fee: $3.95) service has been more than
enough for my purposes.  They carry a very large list of newsgroups,  and
allow posting even with the free service.  They've only been down about
twice in the past 4 months, and both times were for less than a day.
I found many of the other free services had only a short list of newsgroups
or
didn't allow posting.

Rufus

Re: open news servers?
news.individual.net http://www.individual.net/ is free and probably the best
in Europe.

Frank

Re: OT: open news servers?

news.individual.net -- see http://www.individual.net/ for details. Free,
reliable and well-propagated.

(I receive news from two upstream servers, BT's local one and
individual.net - and my local server posts upstream via individual.net)

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Re: OT: open news servers?

Been very happy with it, but, be aware, it does not carry any binary
newsgroups, and will filter out binary posts for the most part.

--
Richard

Re: OT: open news servers?

Agreed, I am extremely happy with it, but some might not be.

--
Richard

Re: OT: open news servers?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.