[OT] -- Memory Vendors

Who's your favorite vendor for PC DRAM? I need some DDR modules for an older Dell. 512MB was a lot five years ago, but it could use some help now.

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you. See details at

Tim Wescott

Micron or Mushkin are good, certainly. I usually go to Newegg.Com and sort by the ratings until I get to whatever's cheapest that still has, 4+ stars. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I was thinking "who can I trust to buy off the web", but knowing good manufacturers is nice, too.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

My favorite vendor is Staples Office Supply. If the stuff doesn't work, bring it back.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Staples Office Supply. If the stuff doesn't work, return it back.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Crucial.

Reply to
krw

I'll second that. Bought a load of stuff from Newegg in December and it all works fine. Their packaging skills could IMHO be improved though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Crucial (micron) and Corsair.

Reply to
ingvald44

Any company that gives a 100% money-back guarantee (no restocking fees) and pays for return shipping. The office supply stores (Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot) and local Fry's are good here.

Avoid any memory modules with heatsinks on them or whose chips lack a chip makers' markings. Otherwise you'll get modules made with UTT (UnTesTed) chips, which are actually probably tested but rejected and then dumped on the wholesale market. But AFAIK,the only such modules available on the retail market, at least in the US, are Crucial, which have chips made by Micron, Elpida, or Samsung (whole module may be from Samsung). Fry's often sells Crucial really cheap.

shows Fry's ads, and Frys.com often has the same deals.

BTW, I've found that MemTest86 fails more modules than MemTest+ does, and Gold Memory 5.07 finds more errors than Gold Memory 6.92 does.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I used to like Corsair -- zero problems with SDR and DDR, but when several friends and I bought 2GB pairs of their PC6400 that looked like this:

last Jan. for $15 after rebate, most of us received at least one bad module per pair. I tried two pairs, and each pair had a module that wouldn't even let the computer boot.

My experience a year earlier with OCZ Gold 1GB PC6400 pairs was 2 bad pairs out of 3, and each time I went back to the store, I met someone else returning the same model OCZ.

I don't know anyone who's gotten bad Crucial PC6400 memory, except for the old 2.2 volt Ballistix.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I'm surprised nobody mentions Kingston??? I always buy Kingston modules.

                     "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

In the zip archive is a README file with directions. Unzip the whole archive and run either INSTALL.BAT or INSTALL64.BAT to create the boot floppy, then restart the computer and boot from that floppy.

You really should also try MemTest86, from

Even though it's a 32-bit application, it too can test more than 4GB of memory.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

My overall failure rate for new Kingston modules has been around 20%, an I once had a run of 11-12 PC3200 512MB modules where 8 failed MemTest86 or Gold Memory. While Kingston doesn't use UTT (UnTesTed) chips as almost all other retailers but Crucial do, Kingston does grade chips on its own (they buy whole wafers and slice and package them), apparently not to the same standards used by the chip makers because I've always been able to overclock Crucial modules but not Kingstons, except for Kingston 1GB PC5300 DDR2. OTOH it seems that if you complain to Kingston modules failing in several machines, Kingston always replaces them with modules that always work error-free.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I'm thinking the same (embedded?) thing (i.e. getting older machine to do some new job).

You may encounter slight incompatibility between chipsets and DDR memories. Not all DDRs will work on any chipset. No brainer is Infineon DDR333/PC2700, for a handfull fo $$$ like these:

StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com
Reply to
StoneThrower

If you have Linux, then most (if not all) Linux bootloaders can of course load bootable binaries, like memtest86 and memtest86+. No need to mess around with floppies.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Just add the following to lilo.conf (replace /boot with the appropriate directory):

image=/boot/memtestp.bin label=memtest

Reply to
Nobody

There's also a .iso version of MemTest86, which you can burn to make a bootable CDROM.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

You should only run it from /boot, because that is the only partition you can be sure is mounted at boot time.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Mounting doesn't come into it.

LILO is a bootloader; it loads an OS kernel (or other executable code) from the disk using BIOS calls, then executes it.

At the point that the bootloader runs, there isn't an OS which could mount a partition.

Reply to
Nobody

Where do you suppose that the bootloader looks for the OS kernel in the first place?