OT: Grrrr... Frigging Fyzics!

Real men don't cook in kitchens. Real men cook outdoors over a wood fire or charcoal, regardless of weather, even with sideways hail, beer in hand :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry, but with 364 days of Summer each year, I am not inclined to cook anything other than "an early breakfast" outdoors! :>

(and drinking at that hour of the day just seems a bit "over the top"!)

YMMV, of course!

(the hail would be welcome about now. Even *frozen* water counts as "precipitation"! :< )

Reply to
Don Y

364 days of summer? Did you find the paradise? Where, where? We hate winters and they become longer every year. Last year a palm tree froze off, this year several oleanders did.

We have a snow pack 264% of normal, so come up with a truck and get some :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I tell The Locals -- watch them pause for two seconds to sort out the incongruity of the statement, then the wide mouthed grin that follows, *knowingly*! :>

Our citrus trees (three different orange, lemon and lime) got

*fried*. Not designed for the 12-15 degree nights we had. Granted, only a few of those but *one* is enough to do it!

(now trying to figure out how to erect temporary shelters over the trees for *next* winter)

Actually, given my druthers, I *like* winter. As long as it isn't "364 days of winter"! I figure, "When you're *cold*, you can always put on another sweater. But, when you're *hot*, once you get down to SKIN there isn't any further you can go!" :>

Besides, it's a *thrill* driving in your car -- SIDEWAYS -- on ice! ;-)

Unfortunately, *not* being a "morning person" (I more often see sunrises as I'm *headed* to bed than just rising!), the heat makes it hard to do much outdoors "in daylight". After about 8AM it's just too damn hot to do much. And, when it's still 90 at *midnight* it leaves you little choice for outdoor activities. E.g., I'll walk up to the library tonight a little after 7P since they close at 8P (and it's a 2.5 mile walk -- 36 minutes each way). At least I won't have to deal with the sun on the return trip! :-/

Yikes! Wacky weather. They've closed the "forests"/parks here due to fire risk. Instead of the usual "no smoking in the park", they're just closing the parks completely!

I think we've seen 0.5 inches so far this year (normal is only a bit over 3.0 but that missing 2.5 inches is a *lot*, relatively speaking)

Reply to
Don Y

Ah, so to paraphrase a certain Mr. Blue Eyes: as long as the chef doesn't freeze to death before the ribs are done, it's still BBQ weather.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Hmm, so you do have winters? Not so good.

Easy, you just hop into the pool. In Arizona we discussed a chunk of the system architecture for an ultrasound machine while 90% submerged. Ok, yes, we also did have some ... ahem ... beverages. It was something like

115F and that didn't bother me or anyone else.

Yeah but that thrill gets old if you see a flatlander in his car spinning out, panicking and coming towards your side at high speed. In an F350 or something like that.

Compared to here that does sound like paradise. Where is it? Reasonable home prices? Nicely conservative government?

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know Mr.Blue Eyes but essentially yes. I have barbecued when I had to tie down the lid of the Weber with wire and strap the whole barbecue to the big pillar at our front entrance. So it won't fly away. Snapped-off pieces from tree branches were flying through the driveway, sideways.

The lid isn't a 100% fit anymore because once during a storm session it did fly off. So now I have a wire for that case :-)

Freezing isn't a big deal since the barbecue is quite toasty. You just stand closer to it but make sure the beer doesn't get warm. In the winter I sometimes steal charcoal out of our wood stove and that gives the barbecue and "instant start".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

$13 ok?

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

For $10 I got attachments for a garden hose that turned it into a level. Worked like a charm.

It may have been Home Despot, instead of ACE.

Reply to
NeedCleverHandle

Note: "respectable diameter". I think something of that small a diameter would make it even harder for the water to "seek its own level". Too much adhesion to the sides (even my 5/8" vinyl tubing took a fair bit of patience to get the meniscus to "settle" to its "stable point" (even after the ultra low frequency oscillations settled out).

For that reason, I was originally looking into *glass* for the end pieces. But, it would be hard to get something that would

- connect the business end of the glass tube to the hose (you'd have to use some sort of compression fit *around* the glass tube then transition to a compression fit around a "hose connector")

- put an end-cap on the loose end of the glass tube (to "seal" it while "in transit" between marking locations)

- stand up to any sort of abuse (glass has the unfortunate characteristic of *breaking* when you drop it :> )

The vinyl tubing proved to be an excellent choice from a structural/durability standpoint. It was strong enough that I could support each end of the level solely from the "end cap" on each of these tubes. And, the flexibility helped me get around "preexisting obstacles"... just fasten the end cap someplace *above* where you want to mark and let the hose

*and* tubing conform to whatever is in the way.

Unfortunately, the inside of the tubing is now "hazy". As if a film was present. Not enough to obscure its transparency. And, it "wipes off" easily (leading me to first suspect it was just water mist?). I have no idea if that is a consequence of "something in the water" or "something in the hose"...

Reply to
Don Y

Usually about 5 nights below freezing. However, in the past

5 or 6 years, we have had some unusually *cold* runs of night-time lows. This past winter it was several days in the high teens. Not *particularly* cold (I've been out in

-26 w/ -83 WC, previously... *that's* cold! 3 minute exposed flesh warnings...). But, for citrus, anything below 28 for more than a short period is trouble.

We made a conscious decision *not* to have a pool. More maintenance, liability, etc. Rather, we figured the dogs would enjoy a *yard* (instead of taking a big chunk out of it).

I'd be wary of all that exposure, too. I have to remind myself to watch how much time I spend in the Sun normally... splashing around in a pool would be too easy to loose track of time.

A friend in Chicago had an *indoor* pool. Amusing to be swimming in your "back yard" when it's 0F outside! :>

But, again, lots of maintenance, there (not as much as an outdoor pool as you don't have to worry about crap falling into the water or the sun burning off the chlorine).

We had looked at another property with two pools, 6 car garage, "guest house", etc. When I was younger, I would have *drooled* over all that space, etc. Heck, I could have set up shop in the garage (heated) -- almost as good as a basement!!

But, the older I get, the less I want to waste my time on mundane crap (mowing the grass, shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc.). E.g., I've intentionally cut down all the large trees (save one which is located in a spot that felling it could easily result in a lawsuit... I'll *hire* someone for that, thankyouverymuch!) in the yard to get rid of the leaf problem and not have to worry about their "toppling" in a microburst (frequent in this neighborhood -- especially for the tall pines).

Hmmm... I thought you were in CA?

I don't mind the *Summer* heat -- if I can step out of the Sun.

117 was the hottest it's been, here, in the time I've lived here. In "Summer", the cooler can be exquisite! Cool and damp air. Unfortunately, we don't see eye-to-eye on that point so the ACbrrr ends up running -- even in Summer.

OTOH, Monsoon just *begs* for the dehumidification that that provides!

I always used to enjoy watching folks "rediscover" winter driving. Like, "Hello, people! This is the same stuff that was here *last* year. Remember??"

[of course, it's nice when you have control over your own schedule and whereabouts and can *avoid* driving when you don't want to]

Naw, there's no such place! We'd thought of San Diego but that's just "too cliche". Lately, I've been pushing for VT/NH (I miss good apples! All you can buy in the stores is vanilla crap!) -- or, one of the Scandinavian countries. But, so far, we're at an impasse on that score...

Currently, So. AZ. You must be in Pine Top, etc. (flatlander and snowpack references)? Smokey up there? :>

Depends on whether you mean "low" or "value for money" :>

Ha! Politics is for folks with far more free time than I! Ditto for "armchair sports". Always amuses me to hear folks rant about politics, "their" sports team, etc. -- yet never

*do* anything about it (run for office, *attend* a game, etc.).

Or, "ailments"... ("Geez, if your *that* overweight, why aren't you *exercising*? Shirley you don't have *two* broken legs???")

Sort of like the old saw of "Doc, it hurts when I hit myself here" "Then stop hitting yourself there!"

Reply to
Don Y

We had too many nights with hard freezes in a row. That killed even some rather native plants.

We would not buy a house with a pool again. As you hinted, too much maintenance for the little use we get out of it. 10 years ago that was different but it's getting colder every year.

[...]

I am, but I there's SW Airlines :-)

We live 35mi east of Sacramento, about 1400ft up in the foothills towards Lake Tahoe.

In AZ? That's where a swamp cooler would be just great. Ours is running right now, on low cool. It kind of regulates itself. Humidity was 30-35% at 90F today so the air came out at 71F. Just about right. "Real" A/C/ tends to give me a headache. Too dry and stale air.

Yeah, but you guys don't get many of those, right?

[...]

Just don't move into a left-leaning state. We live in one right now and that's decidedly not cool.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, same here. Most citrus trees in the area are toast. Many cacti didn't make it, either. I am giving the citrus a half-hearted attempt to "come back" but I suspect they'll all fall to the axe, next year. Sad. Before I plant anything similar, I need to come up with a way to better protect them (these were just too large to "cover". And, with ~4000W in and under them, all it did was increase our utility bill! (as well as posing a shock hazard)

We've talked about an "infinite pool" -- figuring it would actually be useful for exercise (most pools here are "toys"... I wouldn't be able to get one crawl stroke *started* before bumping into the far end!) and also for "soaks". But, still, maintenance, etc.

[too much I *want* to do to consider wasting time on things that I *don't* want to do! :> ]

The last time I went for a swim here (most of the neighbors have pools), I *froze*! It was 104 outside, water temp was 92. I wore a T-shirt (protection from sun).

Big mistake.

Got out of pool. All that water stored in the shirt's fabric proceeded to *quickly* evaporate in the 10% RH. (I was literally surrounded in "steam"). Anyone who doubts the effectiveness of evaporative coolers should try this trick. Once. *Just* once!

Ah.

OK. I was in Tahoe ~30 years ago and found the area delightfully remote, pristine, etc. I imagine someone has decided to "pave paradise" since then... ?

I just don't "feel" as cool with the ACbrrr as I do with the cooler. (again, just talking about "Summer", not "Monsoon"). It feels "fresher" (though I suspect it drags in lots of allergens in the process). E.g., 78 with ACbrrr is about as comfortable as 82 with the cooler.

And the driness really takes its toll on your body -- skin gets itchy, noise feels raw, body produces more secretions, etc.

"... Yeah, but it's a DRY heat!" "Sure, tell that to the turkey on Thanksgiving!"

Likewise, during Monsoon, 82 with the ACbrrr is very comfortable just because it *dodges* the humidity.

I don't know how many *storms* we get but we tend to have at least a month of Monsoon Season -- the high humidity, etc. Makes me remember what Summers, elsewhere, were like! :-/

The good thing about living in this country is that you can just pick up your belongings and *move*! :> I've found that politics -- and politicians -- everywhere are the same. Self absorbed. No one wants to truly *solve* problems -- just have "talking points" that can motivate voters (who ALSO don't seem to want to solve those problems! :-/ )

Figure out what's important to you, personally. Figure out *if* there is something that you can do about it. Then, decide if you are *willing* to do that. Then, *do* it!

E.g., my health is important to me. So, I try to think carefully about what I eat, what I *do* (no drinking, smoking, jumping out of perfectly good aircraft), exercise (7-8 hours weekly), etc. Likewise, there are some charities/causes that I believe in so I try to donate 400 - 600 hours, yearly, for those goals.

Other folks would opt for a simpler (lazier?) way out: have the MD prescribe some medication to enable you to continue unhealthy behaviors; write a check to those charities, etc.

Just don't try to "have it both ways"...

Reply to
Don Y

Huh? If you make the water stay even 1/4" off kilter for more than a few seconds head to Scandinavia, to receive your Nobel prize, because you've just invented selective gravity. Now, investment bankers knew about selective gravity all along, of course :-)

But first I've gotta see that ...

Condensation? Should go away by itself. Else I'd be real suspicious about the potability of your tap water there. If the haze was on the outside I'd suggest to stop eating potato chips during those jobs ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I found that my 5/8" (vinyl) tubing it took time for the water to "let go of" the wall of the tube and settle to form a stable meniscus. Its as if the adhesion was greater than the water's weight (for that tiny volume that was sticking up above where it should be). For a smaller diameter tube, I would imagine this effect to be more pronounced (I'll have to see if I have any thin tubing to try it with).

That's what I had thought. But, in our 10% RH, 48 hours has made no difference. I can *wipe* it clean by cramming a paper towel into the end of the tube and twirling it around. But, the towel doesn't seem to come out "wet".

Gee, ya think?? ;-) I am wondering if it wasn't something in the

*inside* of the (brand new) GARDEN HOSE or some sort of outgassing. E.g., a drinking glass filled and then emptied doesn't exhibit this visible haze... (no, I don't care to try filling that glass from the garden hose, thankyouverymuch!)

No potato chips. "Bad for you" (the crappy oils they use and all that salt) :>

If you're going to eat "something bad", then make it *worth* it!

*Ice Cream*!

(Mmmm... maybe I should make some tonight. Almond Chocolate Chip with Almonds. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...)

Reply to
Don Y

That's exactly what I wanted! I figured it would be something plastic, possibly "graduated" (to make it look accurate) and, even if it *broke* after the first use, it would be a worthwhile investment!

Hmmm... I will have to keep an eye open next time I am there. Or Lowe's?

Reply to
Don Y

Are you sure there are no UFOs or other things like that around where you live?

Try it out. I've never heard of "sticky water" :-)

48h? That would qualify as growth I guess. Or was this tubing that had been in uncle Leroy's barn for the last 20 years? Might just need a good cleaning.

Well, the haze might then be forming in your intestines ... ;-)

Bel Air has this wonderful ice cake, white with a red coating. But because all this stuff isn't exactly health food we only eat it on Sundays.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Dunno. Sure are a lot of *kooks*, though! :>

I'll have to buy some tubing. The only stuff I have is this big 5/8" stuff and some of that "yellow" (opaque) colored super stretchy stuff we used to make water balloons out of.

No, it was there when I emptied the hose -- but wasn't when I

*filled* the hose (the tubing and hose were both "brand spanking new")

I don't drink from the hose. :>

(amusing that practices which were "common" 40+ years ago are now considered unhealthy -- for good reason!)

Yikes! I'd feel decadent if I indulged in that sort of thing more than once every few *months*! :-/ I had looked into purchasing an "ice cream maker" with built-in compressor some time ago. Aside from the expense ($600), I was *sure* that its presence would inevitably lead me to making ice cream *daily* :<

It's one thing to have discipline when the "bad habit" has a reasonably high effort required to initiate. Quite another thing entirely when that behavior just requires "flipping a switch"! :<

Maybe I'll *walk* to the store to buy the heavy cream. That'll at least burn off 500 of those calories! :-/

Reply to
Don Y

I just wanted to add something here.

Brake fluid is remarkable stuff. It doesn't expand or contract much over wide temp ranges, it doesn't compress (like water), it doesn't have surface tension to worry about, and it pretty fantastic stuff all in all. Just think about car brake lines and what they are subjected to and what is needed by a fluid that will be safe to use!

There was a great amateur Scientific American project that discussed many of the interesting features of DOT 5 brake fluid, as it exists today. Would be interesting to see how that works in this application.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Check the tide tables ...