OT: Google cars caught snooping

Neither of those were facsimile systems. They were text/telegram systems. Facsmile systems transmit images of source material. TWX and TELEX sent text messages.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I just went below the
                                  at               poverty line!

First demonstartion of a fax machine was in the late 19th century where the image of a Letter as an image was transmitted in analogue form between Thurso and Wick in Scotland.

Early 20th century facsimile using analog means was used by newspapers for syndicated photos, and I believe text.

Most of these were private wire circuits though.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Correct. But they served essentially the same role (one of the places I worked made teleprinters).

Reply to
D Yuniskis

ow

ten to it

,

eezer ??

-- is

ce)

r', to

MT > And a lot of wastec cell phone minutes MT > while trying to get [confirmation], along MT > with lots of resumes being sent out. ;-)

krw > OTOH, it may be a tactic for HR types to raid competitors.

MT > All kinds of dirty tricks can result from an act like that. ;-)

I'm guessing you mean like how various cribnotes for production or repair get conveniently lost or altered in sneaky ways?

That would be particularly nasty if the rumor was totally false.

Reply to
Greegor

What would you line a parakeet cage with?

Reply to
krw

to it

freezer ??

That's the beauty of rumors. They don't have to be true to be effective.

Reply to
krw

years.

I was talking about them paying for the monitors. You know they will charge you to read something on them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Private, yes, but avery decent sized US city had a Western Union office with a fax machine. In the '70s ham radio types were converting retired WU fax machines to print weather satellite photos. I had two of the machines and a couple cases of the electrostatic paper they used.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In that case, it was a really poorly run company. Microdyne made the mistake of telling their northern Telemetry employees they were moving production to their Florida based Satellite TV plant about 30 years ago. When they showed up to pack the equipment and inventory they discovered the employees had shredded every document at the telemetry plant. All they had was one complete 1100 series receiver they had to reverse engineer.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sloman.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think that must be the type of paper used (early 70's) for weather satellite images? (a large rotating drum... very slow image transfer) Seemed like it was "burning" the paper

Reply to
D Yuniskis

The paper was a semiconductor. A thin wire was used as one electrode, and the drum as the other. A couple hundred volts turned the spot under the wire a solid black. Lower voltages produced various gray levels. The wire was driven across the drum by a lead screw. The WU machines had a wire spring that held the paper to the drum. They were like the close wound springs on old 16 mm projectors for drive belts.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

MT > And a lot of wasted cell phone minutes MT > while trying to get [confirmation], along MT > with lots of resumes being sent out. ;-) MT >

MT > All kinds of dirty tricks can result from an act like that. ;-)

G > I'm guessing you mean like how various G > cribnotes for production or repair get G > conveniently lost or altered in sneaky ways? G >

G > That would be particularly nasty if the G > rumor was totally false.

MT > In that case, it was a really poorly run MT > company. =A0Microdyne made the mistake MT > of telling their northern Telemetry MT > employees they were moving production MT > to their Florida based Satellite TV plant MT > about 30 years ago. When they showed MT > up to pack the equipment and inventory MT > they discovered the employees had MT > shredded every document at the MT > telemetry plant. =A0All they had was one MT > complete 1100 series receiver they had MT > to reverse engineer.

I got hired once by a guy who owned the remains of a company that made hog belly pregnancy ultrasound units. He had been sandbagged like that and didn't even realize that crucial information was missing.

He left me all alone in the basement of his house answering lots of phone calls from people seeking repairs or more new units.

In the middle of the second day I realized the situation was doomed, and left. I never even asked for a pay check.

Reply to
Greegor

They are decent but i really like the much older Merrie Melodies cartoons.

Reply to
JosephKK

PETA isn't going to like that!

Reply to
krw

They managed to reverse enginner their products and get back into production in about 90 days.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We're 'The Phone Company' We're above the law. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And think about how many people, today, have that "implant"!

:-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

My network 'Is of Biblical proportions'. The first two computers were Genesis and Exodus. I'll be ok as long as I don't have more than 66 computers in the network. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In sci.electronics.design Didi wrote: :

: By mistake, they say.

I think this is what they are after: A suitable browser plugin may be able to obtain the names and relative strengths of the WLAN stations visible to the host computer, and send them to Google through the web. Then the party who has a database of names and physical locations of all the WLAN stations on earth, can locate where the computer is, over the network. No need to attach a GPS unit to track us.

Actually, I now notice this was implied in the BBC reference already ...

It's interesting, once an extensive-enough foundation database has been laid, a continuosly tracking system can keep repairing itself even when some stations die and new stations are introduced.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik