[OT] Freescale English?

From the Freescale WEB documentation:

"If you find yourself needing a little more memory than what the 56F8365 has to offer, or simply need to interface to other devices in your system a parallel fashion, then the 56F8366 is the device for you. Moving to this

144-pin LQFP package allows you to take advantage of its included external memory interface for these additional tasks. You will still enjoy 576 KB of on-chip Flash memory, pulse-width modulation (PWM) outputs, analog-to-digital converter (ADC) inputs and time channels, along with the capability of interfacing with other devices in your system."

What is right with this? I hope their silicon designs receive more scrutiny than their WEB site.

[My grammar and language are bad, as readers of my WEB site keep pointing out to me, but I am not a huge multinational!]
--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
16 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com

Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

I don't see your problem. For blurb it's alright, and merely points out that you can get one with an external bus. Someone should have told the copywriter that he doesn't need to go into raptures tas engineers will know about the generalities already, and to have put in about the specific capabilities like wait state generation, handshake, perhaps DRAM capability if it's got it.

Reply to
Paul Burke

"than what the 56F8365 has" - why is there a 'what' in that sentence? Sounds cockney.

"in your system a parallel fashion" - seems to be a word missing there.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
16 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Phrasing, my boy. It's not the REAL Santa, it's a Subordinate Claus.

Read it as "needing a little more memory (than what the 56F8365 has to offer)" - brackets indicating the phrase grouping.

The second phrase is either missing a second "in" or has gathered a surplus "a" - either way it's clear enough to me what the device has to offer.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Interesting. My Radar did react to this (when prompted), but I triggerd more on "a parallel fashion", "is the device for you", " for these additional tasks", "You will still enjoy" [shudder..]

Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

But everything involving any form of electronics/computing has to have some form of 'experience', so obviously they are only worthwhile if you can also 'enjoy' the 'experience'.

:-^ :-^

Very tongue in cheek for humourously challenged.

Probably written by some one with a Media Studies degree. Very UK'ian but I am sure you get the drift.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Op Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:26:46 GMT schreef FreeRTOS.org:

Sounds Dutch ;-)

--
Coos
Reply to

Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"?

Marvelous show that takes you into factories and shows how things are made. The dialog appears to have been written in French/Canadian then translated and narrated word-for-word into English. All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- translations.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That was one of my kids' favorite shows a couple of years ago.. They would even "play 'How It's Made'"...

Anyhow, the original narration did seem to be word-for-word translated to english, with the units still in metric. It seems that they then added subtitles for the US broadcast with the imperial units. Then, later, the audio was re-dubbed with imperial units, but the video was not changed back, so they had a rather amusing ".. oven at 600 degrees farenheight" with some text on the screen "That's 600 F!".. Well, I found that amusing!..

marcus hall

Reply to
marcus hall

I forgot about all the silly units usage. Quoting any small distance measurement in one-hundredths of an inch is particularly annoying.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've always wondered what age group it was aimed at.

I didn't get the impression it was badly translated but badly written to begin with.

It gets worse as I remember. Many of the original units appear to have been Imperial and translated into SI with no concept of the precision involved. That 600 F was probably "approximately 321.7 C" in the original script.

Robert

Robert Adsett

My English teacher would have had kittens at that superfluous "what". It should be "needing a little more memory (than the 56F8365 has to offer)", of course. The additional "what" does indeed sound cockney, or just educationally-challenged.

Anyone watch F1 on ITV in the UK? Mark Blundell does this a lot. "Those Ferraris have a bit more grunt than what the McLarens have" etc. Makes me cringe every time ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees