OT? Ethernet transceiver

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup so if not could someone please
redirect.

I'm trying to find information regarding the implementation of a 10BASE-T
transceiver.  I have found very little information regarding their
implementation and wanted to know how complex it would be to build one.  So
what I'm asking is if there is any homebrew implementations of the
transceiver online?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dennis.

Re: OT? Ethernet transceiver

Get a chip eg RTL8019AS, throw in a few passives, led an a line
transformer(I like the Halo components) and Bob's your Auntie, you have a
working interface.

What most hobbyists do(inlcuding myself) is to interface with a
standard network card. Old isa NE2000 compatible cards are as cheap as chips
and are easy to interface. For a less messy solution(read smaller) is to buy
one of the many interface boards available for sale e.g. at www.edtp.com.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: OT? Ethernet transceiver

http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html

Cheers,
Jon

Re: OT? Ethernet transceiver

Thanks for your replies.

Actually I should have been more clearer. I'd like to implement the PHY
layer of an Ethernet transceiver. So for instance, Intel has some good
documentation on their transceivers.  However they only describe the
circuitry required. I'd like to learn those circuits and build my own (using
cheap TTL parts for instance).  Just a as-simple-as-possible circuit(s) so
that I can truly understand the PHY layer of 802.3.

Thanks again,
Dennis.

Re: OT? Ethernet transceiver

Aha. You're struggling with the same problem I did. The electrical
specs are pretty difficult to get, probably due to the fact that
IEEE is selling the whole standard (1600 pages, IIRC).

I was not building the low-level interface, but debugging one
(a SMSC 91C94).

A kind of clue is available in the data sheets and app notes
of the SMSC 91C111 Ethernet chip (it's a 10/100 Mbits/s thing).
The signal waveforms and the fact that the line impedance is
around 120 ohms will quite well tie the design.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: OT? Ethernet transceiver

Thanks for the reference! I'll check it out.
Dennis.

Site Timeline