OT - Do you ever look at an old schematic or old code and think...

What the hell was I smoking when I did this?

I'm finally trying to get a design into production that I did two years ago. The proto worked two years ago. It's still sitting on my desk. The preproduction unit I made yesterday didn't. Looking at the schematic, it's pretty clear why it didn't work.

What's not clear is what I was thinking when I designed the proto...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

So, did the prototype work by chance, or because you modded it and forgot to include your red lines?

I'm just assembling a board in stages, and writing software drivers as I go. I've had a few of those "whatinhell" moments on this myself (mostly component footprints instead of rank circuitry errors -- but still).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Brain Flatulence. :>

I laid out a six layer board, got the first samples back and noticed a foil jumper *right* across another foil.

"Now how the hell did I do *that*??"

Are you sure you don't have another page of *notes* someplace? (or, perhaps it was *that* which you smoked!)

Reply to
Don Y

the difference between a pro and amateur is how well they know the fundamentals, not the obscure stuff, even golf pros practice the really basic fundamentals everyday, I find this is a good model to follow for all disciplines and helps minimize most of those "I can't believe I did that" moments,

Reply to
steve

My "what was I smoking" moments are usually more of the "What was I smoking when I took on this job" type. Actually I've never had a job from "hell". But some make more money than others. There are times I end up getting paid about the same as when I worked construction labor during college summers.

Unless Google fixes their smoking habits, I'll never see any other replies. I need to find a newsreader. I've had it with Google!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Old code! huh.

I remember writing something a year before last year and I was in rush to meet the damn deadline. The whole idea was to make it work whatever was expected. The whole thing was to port the code form one platform to another. But seriously, when I got back to the code after like 6 months It turn out to be _hell_. It was anything but a code. I had my reasons why this thing happened:

0) It was a new platform to me. 1) There was no documentation from company with respect to code layout style or naming convention etc. 2) No clear requirements in drafted form. 3) I have to improve my self;-)

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali
[%X]

....and for any others whose experience is similar to this, I can only suggest that recognising you need help to improve is the important first step. The next step should be to get a copy of Philip Koopman's book "Better Embedded Systems Software" and fix it to your development station, conveniently open at every single chapter simultaneously. Ok, I know that last ask is an impossible with a book, but you won't regret getting it and learning the lessons it contains. Good for the managers to read too.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

That is usually when I go get the ACTUAL file folder that has my original notes in it and usually a marked up PCB image with the piece of "Oops Wire" noted on it. Just went through that recently.

Reply to
WangoTango