OT and personal, anyone know of a free/opensource OBD-II code reader?

Looking to do a little work on the car and would like to build a cable/interface that would let me read and clear codes with a laptop.

Lots of stuff for sale in the $100 range, but would like to learn as I go.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Elmelectronics have the chips( preprogrammed PICs) one for Ford, one for GM.... Real easy to use. Check their website for link to free windows/DOS software.. I created my own for an old reliable Tandy 100 which does what I want it to do.

HTH...

Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller