OT: a wooden computer (almost)

Just found this

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I'll see your wooden computer and raise you:

Reply to
larwe

Impressive. It's good to see Big companies having a sense sense of fun on their websites

As soon as I hit send, I realised I should have called the post "gravity based computing", so no good for the ISS !

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

And in case some of you have missed it:

Regards,

-=Dave

Reply to
Dave Hansen

Sorry to tell you that series got canned (I think). The reason I knew about the HRRG is because I proofread the first one or two articles. (I also write for developerWorks; you'll find probably 20 of my articles up there). Unfortunately they had a budget cut recently, which forced all the zones to focus on specific topics. That's why I'm now writing only about Cell BE programming; if you search for my name you'll find a lot of older material I wrote which is general fun and interest.

Reply to
larwe

OTOH

Nvidia claimed it can run 518 billion floating-point operations every second.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

On the island of Apraphul off the northwest coast of New Guinea, archaeologists discovered the rotting remnants of an ingenious arrangement of ropes and pulleys thought to be the first working digital computer ever constructed ... approximately A.D. 850.

Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon

Guy Macon

And doesn't "Apraphul" sound remarkably like "April fool"? (The article appeared in Scientific American, April 1988.)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Next you are going to tell me that I can't trust the Weekly World News...

Reply to
Guy Macon

I know.... I did an april fools for Studio Sound ( uk pub.) in the

80's, it was so convincing not one person spotted it, wish I still had a copy.

But that Tesla thing looks impressive, and I did check the publication date before posting, maybe I should email it to that Skybuck

person, just for fun, of course

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Surely that is redated by the abacus for that particular accolade?

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

fri22Jun2007 martin griffith wrote: | On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:21:29 +0000, in comp.arch.embedded Guy Macon | wrote: | >On the island of Apraphul off the northwest coast of New Guinea, | >archaeologists discovered the rotting remnants of an ingenious | >arrangement of ropes and pulleys thought to be the first working | >digital computer ever constructed ... approximately A.D. 850. | >

| | And doesn't "Apraphul" sound remarkably like "April fool"? | (The article appeared in Scientific American, April 1988.)

I thought it sounded a wee bit tooooo similar to current technology tendancies (8-bit, etc). The elephant bones pretty much sealed my doubts. Neat story though. :)

Reply to
Brian Patrie