OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)

We are trying to choose a tool suite for ARM development. Within reason, we
can afford to buy what we need, so we are mostly concerned with the quality
and features of the tools.

We have a combination of requirements that seems to be somewhat unique,
though that fact comes as a surprise to me. First, we have a very power
sensitive application, so we need to minimize accesses to external memory.
For this reason, we need to be able to configure the OS and programs in such
a way that certain code is loaded into internal memory on our ASIC (which
will contain an ARM core), and other code is loaded into external memory. We
need a lot of control over this process of memory allocation. And we need
good profiling tools in order to determine which code should reside in
internal memory.

However, we can't easily use a model like ECOS, where the program and OS are
linked into one executable. We need to be able to dynamically load and start
"user programs" using the OS on the ARM. And, once we load a user program,
we need to be able to debug and profile it via an ethernet debug link. This
obviously complicates the task of being able to configure where the OS and
programs live in internal and external memory. But this is a requirement
nonetheless.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an OS and a toolset that accomodates
these needs?

Thanks for any help!

- Andy Voelkel

Re: OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:36:17 -0700, msnews.microsoft.com

You might consider OS-9 from Microware (now RadiSys).  In the days of M68K
it gave quite flexible control of what is residing where, it also had a
concept of "coloured memory" for memory allocations.  It is known to be
ported, apart from numerous other architechtures, to ARM.

http://www.microware.com

   Vadim Borshchev

Re: OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:36:17 -0700, "msnews.microsoft.com"

Remark: I do work for Sciopta.

Sciopta is completly written in assembly and you may place all (used)
OS function freely by use of the linker-script.

Sciopta is fully dynamic, means you can load (from ROM or outside the
system) software and start it.

Sciopta supports currently GCC,RVCS and IAR.
We also provide a kernel-awareness for Ashling PathFinder and
Lauterbach Trace32.
Plus we offer a system-level debugger called Druid which can be
attached via serial line (run/stop debugging) or TCP (run debugging).

--
42Bastian
Re: OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)

some advise from one that does not want to sell any OS ;-)
uC-OS-II  (http://www.micrium.com ). Very well documented, low cost OS
CMX http://www.cmx.com
Nucleus http://www.acceleratedtechnology.com /

Pricing increases, so do the overall capabilities.

hth, Schwob.

reason, we
quality
unique,
power
memory.
in such
(which
memory. We
need
in
OS are
and start
program,
link. This
OS and
requirement
accomodates

Re: OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)

Or for if you'd like one for free:

ecos.sourceware.org

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm protected by
                                  at               a ROLL-ON I rented from

This is only low cost for non-commercial use. The licensing can be
quite high depending on ones usage pattern. The one big advantage
compared with other similar priced RTOSes, is one can try it out
at no cost, and if it is suitable, pay the lisence fee for commercial
use.

[Stuff Snipped]

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: OSes and tool suites for ARM development (need guidance)

Most of the others don't advertise it, but if you call the
distributor they'll usually let you give something a try.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Loni Anderson's hair
                                  at               should be LEGALIZED!!