OS for 8 bits processor

Hi!
I am looking for a free Operation system that can be used for 8-bits
CPU, AVR; I am using a card with Atmega 128 and CC2420. I will
implement the IEEE 802.4.15 protocol stack but a need an OS that can
take care of the stack. I have look on the Contiki by Adam Dunkel but
is fully integrated with his TCP/IP stack so a need something else.
Does anyone have some suggestions?

Regards
Ulf Reiman

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

http://www.FreeRTOS.org or
http://www.barello.net/avrx /

Regards.
Richard

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

Look here www.ethernut.de

regards

Dejan

Re: OS for 8 bits processor
CMX Systems has both a RTOS and stack  for the AVR family.
www.cmx.com

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

CMX is not free OS.
Perhaps without royalties, but not free.

--
-Stan

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

A friend of mine whose technical opinions I trust implicitly
used CMX-tiny on the AVR and had nothing nice to say about it.
He recommended against it when I was shopping.

In addition to the other's mentioned, there's XMK:

http://www.shift-right.com/xmk /

I Haven't used it, but I was rather impressed after browsing the
source code an documentation a while back.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am in the
                                  at               POSTERIOR OLFACTORY LOBULE

We'll, we have thousands of HAPPY customers. Not sure whom this friend
is, but I can provide contact info of people specifically using
CMX-TINY+ for the AVR and are very happy with it and some have tried or
compared other OSes and we have won against them.

Chuck

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I think the comments are more an expression of frustration at your spamming
this thread.

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I earn my living writing RTOS in Assembly _but_ our customer don't
have to search for bugs in the sources (they get). That's my job ;-)
(No, I do _not_ work for CMX !)
--
42Bastian
Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I have to agree that, at least as far as the scheduler and its near
kin, my experience has been that in most architectures writing that
code in -Assembly- results in code that is somewhat spagetti-ish (you
are swapping contexts, handling atomic operations like semaphores and
avoiding deadlocks), but in C or any other "high" level language it
would be just as spagetti-ish and require that you be fluent in both
the architectural assembly language and C (or whatever) as well as
knowledgeable when it comes to the optimizing the complier is going to
do for/to you.

I have written several custom RTOSes, developed on several comercial
RTOSes (though some might reserve another name for "Real Time
Unix/Regulus"), and by far the easiest to debug were the ones with a
well defined hardware abstraction layer (sorry, not to be confused
with the Windows NT HAL) with assembly below the interface and
whatever language you want above it.

[And I don't work for CMX either.]

--Charles

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

He wasn't spamming. Grant was not making comments in frustration at any
spamming but commenting on the OS.

Chuck has as much right to reply as any one else. I note he used is own
real eamil address.  He did not use a fake address like many do. SO you
can put the email in context that he is some one from the company. That
is honest.

OTOH you could be from a competitor....

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

Ulf was asking for a free version. CMX has free non-trial versions of
their products?

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

You might use Liquorice:  http://liquorice.sourceforge.net/
It has not been updated for a while, but looks nice enough.

Tom

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I don't understand your desire for an OS. First thing many embedded
newbies think they need is an OS. After all, their PC is useless without
an OS so they expect to need one on their embedded chip.

Do you want a framework which has 802.4.15? Or are you creating the
802.4.15 yourself and desire an OS?

Every Chipcon reference implementation I've looked at was AVR based. Go
dig for Chipcon's free reference designs and see if their code is
suitable.

Re: OS for 8 bits processor
An RTOS would really simplify the software architecture for
appliactions involving networking stacks.

Try FreeRTOS (FreeRTOS.org), it is very easy to use and you can embed
it to your commercial product at no cost (pleae check the license
first).

I just started to implement an 802.4.25 stack using the MC13192
transceiver from Freescale. The host MCU is an 8-bit MC9S08GT60. The
RTOS runs beautiful at 64Mhz. So far I am eating like 2K of flash just
for the RTOS and 654 Bytes of RAM (including RXTX buffers for the
frames).

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

Why do you think so?  I've been using networking stacks on machines
without real-time operating systems for the better part of 20 years.

Having multiple threads of execution is great, but an RTOS is a lot more
than just a task scheduler.

Kelly

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I have been programming networking/communication stacks from some time
(almost 10 years) in the embedded space. The reason I say that an RTOS
could simplify you architecture is because you can:

(1) abstract complex state machines (by using the provided data
objects)
(2) Hide implementation details (by creating stand alone modules with
little dependencies)
(3) Encapsulate data (instead of using global state and/or status flags
(4) Change the data flow with little effort (i.e. remove protocol
handlers or add hooks)
(5) High level applications do also benefit from the multitasking
environment in the same way as the networking stack.

I agree with you in that you can get away without an RTOS, but a simple
scheduler with some synchronization primitives can make our embedded
programming life much easier.

Rene

Re: OS for 8 bits processor

I totally agree with you, except none of the reasons you sight have
anything to do with a real-time operating system - they are present in a
generic operating system without any real-time functions.

Kelly

Re: OS for 8 bits processor
Indeed, you are right. The point I wanted to make is that the RTOS
further simplifies the net stack development on an embedded system as
small as the AVR and gives you a lot of tools to achieve the points I
listed for as little as 4K of ROM.

Re: OS for 8 bits processor
Can you recommend some RTOS?

/Ulf