Orcad import .bom file into database

I have a  design in Orcad. I generated the Annotate..., then Bil of
Materials...

  I need to make a microsoft Acces database with components for my
design. I make a Databse.mdb database for my project with Contol
Panel/ODBC settings...

 In Orcad: Option/Cis Configuration...  when I chose new and then I
put my Database.mdb it says I have no tables in my database.

  When I should make tables and how I import .bom file in my database
acces?

(In Orcad book after generate .bom file says :

   "You can directly import this file into your database."
  BUT HOW???)

 ..what I understand...
   - make .bom file for design
   - set database type
   - create configuration file
 (when I make the tables and how I import my .bom file in database???)

  Thanks,

Re: Orcad import .bom file into database

I do exactly this (albeit with MySQL, rather than [spit] Access) - however I
do it manually. The Orcad .bom file format is not easily parsed - it's
columnar with line-breaks in strange (to a parser) places. It'll also depend
on the structure of your database, which Orcad has no knowledge of. I use
the manual database entry phase as a sanity check. Even with complex boards,
it doesn't take long (assuming a decent database entry system).

My structure is:
  - part type (resistor, capacitor, IC etc)
  - part (keyed to part type: e.g. 10k resistor)
  - assembly (i.e. the board the parts are used in)
  - part instance (keyed to part and assembly: e.g. R1)
  - part source (keyed to part: supplier and price)

A tip: within the part instance record, allow yourself a part ID (e.g. R43)
and an old part ID. This comes in handy at back-annotation time. Copy all
the part IDs to the old part ID fields, and then use the old part IDs to
assign the new reference to the new part ID. If it all goes pear-shaped, you
can back out by copying all the old part IDs back to the part ID fields.
(I've automated the back-annotation phase with a PHP script which reads the
diff file.)

HTH,

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: Orcad import .bom file into database

If it is the same as I remember (a DOS version) it was
bad, but not that bad.  I remember doing it in AWK in not
too much time, hour or two, and most of that was figuring
out AWK - there isn't much to figure out.

Will the version of Orcad the OP is using send the BOM
out in csv form?  Naw, probably not, or the question wouldn't
be asked.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Agreed. (The current version writes the .bom file in essentially the same
format as the old DOS version.) It can be scripted, for sure. I consciously
chose to go the manual route.

Not as such - but I've just checked and there are "Place each part entry on
a separate line" and "Open in Excel" options. These surely simplify the
task.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Site Timeline