OpenTCP and DHCP

Hi, I've using OpenTCP with the MC9S12NE64 and need some extra functionality from the built in DHCP-client. The device h'm building has a web interface from which you can configure the IP-address settings for the device. If i choose DHCP and enter the host name for the device i want to be able to access the device from it's host name. But from what i understand it's only Windows2K and XP:s dhcp client that has the functionality to notify the DNS server that they have a host name (i think the protocol is called Dynamic host protocol). Does anyone have any knowledge about this protocol? And do you know of any embedded IP-stack shat uses it? I'm considering implementing that functionality in the Open TCP:s dhcp-client.

Best Regards

Johnny Karlsson

Reply to
johnny.karlsson

Take a look at WINS registration / lookup, which is how the name registration works in a Windows environment. Non-Windows devices won't resolve the name, though.

Dynamic DNS is similar and not Windows-centric. I haven't come across a shop yet that had it deployed; most placed uses a classic DNS with separate WINS servers for the Windows crowd.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Yep, it won't work only with DHCP. WINS or NetBIOS should do the trick in Windows environment. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement the clients...

Glad to see somebody using my code :-)

BR, Vladan

Reply to
vj