OpenTCP and DHCP

Hi, I've using OpenTCP with the MC9S12NE64 and need some extra
functionality from the built in DHCP-client. The device h'm building
has a web interface from which  you can configure the IP-address
settings for the device. If i choose DHCP and enter the host name for
the device i want to be able to access the device from it's host name.
But from what i understand it's only Windows2K and XP:s dhcp client
that has the functionality to notify the DNS server that they have a
host name (i think the protocol is called Dynamic host protocol). Does
anyone have  any knowledge about this protocol? And do you know of any
embedded IP-stack shat uses it? I'm considering implementing that
functionality in the Open TCP:s dhcp-client.

Best Regards

Johnny Karlsson

Re: OpenTCP and DHCP

Take a look at WINS registration / lookup, which is how the name
registration works in a Windows environment.  Non-Windows devices won't
resolve the name, though.

Dynamic DNS is similar and not Windows-centric.  I haven't come across a
shop yet that had it deployed; most placed uses a classic DNS with
separate WINS servers for the Windows crowd.

Richard

Re: OpenTCP and DHCP
Yep, it won't work only with DHCP. WINS or NetBIOS should do the trick
in Windows environment. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement the
clients...

Glad to see somebody using my code :-)

BR,
Vladan