openNetcam open source project recruiting developers

A new open source project has started with the aim of producing an open framework for embedded Linux based video camera systems.

Developers in this project will get to play in a very diverse sandbox. The framework itself will be layered on top of the ultra lightweight SIMPL toolkit

and when completed will be essentially a webservices lite. There will be opportunities to get involved in embedded Linux. We haven't yet selected the preferred platform although the senior developer already has some boards in mind. There will be opportunities to get involved in creating derivatives of the Puppy Linux distribution which contain the openNetcam code. The preferred webserver will be lighttpd and there will be opportunities to create a SIMPL plugin for that webserver. The main development languages will be C and C++.

The hope is that once this framework gets far enough along we'll go seeking industry support. Who knows maybe at that stage we'll be able to put in place a developer compensation scheme along the lines of the X-prize approach. ie. developers get paid for working, tested code they produce rather than for their potential to produce.

If any of this interests you (or if you know of someone who might be interested) don't hesitate to contact me offlist and I'll give you more details.

bob

Reply to
bobicanprogram

Check out what Elphel is doing. They have an open-source Linux-based network camera. The open source includes the FPGA that interfaces with the imager chip.

--
David M. Palmer  dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply to