or

ve

act,

it

This

et

ely

,

I did think it was more of a jest than serious though. I didn't pick up on the personal ribbing. LOL

If you want any pointers on VHDL or just have any questions, feel free to contact me. Once you get the hang of the strong typing issues and learn when to use which type of adjustment, VHDL is not at all bad. But you have to love typing! It is very verbose.

Good luck with your project.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Rick, you missed out that you can also _guarantee_ responses to IO (as long as the desing is properly constrained), it doesn't matter how many interrupts come flooding in in the background!

And you can have whatever number of whatever type of interface you want (within reason).

FPGAs, the best thing since sliced bread!

:-)

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

It seems to me that an FPGA (that is, some small unused section of one already designed in for other purposes) is an excellent method for doing HW safety interlocks on energy-controlling outputs as well, which is something our design has to be concerned with.

Reply to
KK6GM

Indeed, I did some work for a local company on safety interlocks for laser eye scanning.

They had two separate FPGAs monitoring levels, timings etc and both had to agree to allow the laser output to be on.

Both devices implemented the same logic, an extra level of security would have been to have two developers design the safety logic. This wasn't thought necessary though, one of the advantages of the FPGA is that you can _prove_ the operation of a logic module via simulation and nothing else that's going on in the device will interfere with that.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart