OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor? - Page 6

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
I think that people are missing the point with the Pi, it isn't intended
as an embedded development board, it is a small cheap and fairly capable
Linux system. From the specs so far, it looks the more capable of the
two, but I'll leave judgement until I've seen both.

Hopefully both will find their audience, but I'll try the Pi first.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

If you read the other thread completely, that includes Olimex. But
knowing they have a competing product on the way helps explain some of
their negative comments about the Pi.

-a

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Hmm, strangely enough there was a link in another thread here where the
main guys from Olimex were trashing the R-pi a bit and doubting they
could make it for the price.

Do you think they have an ulterior motive and not exactly unbiased position?

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

I'm sure they wish they could sell 10,000 of anything in the first day
its on the market.  Wouldn't we all?

Rick

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
In article <95fb58fb-5288-4f2e-9c49-
snipped-for-privacy@q18g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
Ummm-it's not too hard to sell 10,000 of anything if you spec it right
and don't  actually deliver the product!  ;-)

Mark Borgerson

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

None of that is by any means trivial.

You need to put significant effort into getting that information out to
the right people, convincing the sales channel that this is the right
thing to push as well as the media.

Then get 10000 people to commit to buying before delivery

Anyone who can do that needs to put in a lot of effort.

Not delivering - well that is easy.
Keeping momentum and recovering from it could be challenging.

I'm just not so sure why so many people appear to want them to fail.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Look at the price,

 it's competing with thinks like Olimexino  Arm7 (vs Arm11) , 128K ram
(vz 512) . no netowork (vs onboard 10/100 (over usb)), no video.

It's even challenging beaglebone, 2/3 of the features at 1/3 the price.

 there's even 8-bit boards out there with higher prices.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

And that is supposed to mean something?  It is a sloppy engineer that
cannot beat off such sloppy bean counters questions, and has a sloppy
manager for letting the bean counter get to him/her with sloppy =
questions.

?-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

And that shirt still hasn't been ironed.  No product, no win; good =
product
(even subsidized by Broadcom, funny situation - did they order too many
millions/) possible big win.  Result not known yet.

?-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
Preliminary schematic of the iMX233-OLinuXino has been uploaded to GitHub.

This is very rough and will have lot of changes. These changes will
possibly be uploaded on Monday.

https://github.com/TsvetanUsunov/OLINUXINO/blob/master/HARDWARE/iMX233-OLinuXino-Rev-A.pdf

A new user group has been set up for this board at:

This is one of two new Linux low cost boards, that will be produced by
Olimex. First one has 64Mb of ram, second one will be the same CPU speed
as RPi, and have 256Mb of ram.

======================
Question:
Like the idea, some sort of raspberry pi. What kind of android version
would be supported since it only contains 64mb ram ? incl. TV out ?

Answer: OLIMEX Ltd says:
March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm

sorry there are few projects in my mind ;) indeed 64MB memory is too low
for Android, but there is another project with 256MB and different
processor which is too early to announce now :)
======================

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
Additional information -2012-03-10

We started the iMX233 project, the name is OLINUXINO as it will run
Linux natively.

The goal is EUR 30 single board linux computer.
This is complete open source, open hardware project which is to be
hosted on GitHub .

The specs are:

- iMX233 454Mhz ARM9 processor
- 64MB of RAM
- 2 USB hosts
- 1 100MB Ethernet port
- composite Video 640480 pixels, color, with PXP graphics accelerator
for picture manipulations
- micro SD card for boot and disk storage
- headphones stereo DAC with 99dB SNR
- linear input stereo ADC with 85dB SNR
- UEXT connector
- 31 GPIOs for interfacing including UART,SPI,I2C,PWMs

Although this board will run Linux there is possibility DM-BASIC to be
ported on it and pre-estimated this MCU should run about 1 Million Basic
instructions per second, with 64MB RAM available for applications.

The very preliminary schematic is uploaded on GitHub, the goal is next
week to have complete schematic and routed board and in 2 weeks
prototypes for the developers.

Cheers Don...