OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

..

ys...

at

y try to

Cell phone chargers do not put out 3000 mA. They typically put out

0.5 to 0.7 mA... at least the ones I use do. I guess the "smart" phones that run down a 1500 mAHr battery in a day might charge at a higher rate.

I think 100 mA is a bit light though.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

l Chinese mediaplayer I have,

There are LOTS of car adapters that provide a 5 volt USB socket, just add standard cable... Mail order places have them for under $5.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

t.net ---

Very unlikely anything needs 5 volts other than the USB connector assuming it is a HOST connector for mice, keyboards, etc. But even then the 5 volt port will not need a tightly regulated 5 volts, it just needs to be within the input spec... which is somewhat tight at

4.75 to 5.5 volts typically. But to be sure you would need to check the data sheets for the parts in question. Since there is no schematic available currently, can't do that.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Considering cell phone batteries typically have a capacity of 1000mAh or more, at that rate it would take more than 8 weeks to fully charge it. I guess you are a very, very patient guy ;-)

Reply to
Dombo

Um, not. That is the GUI/DE that eats all that RAM. The actual functionality is maybe 5 to 10 % of that. Basic running interactively, with a file system was done in 16 K on a 6502. You have heard of bloatware.

Reply to
josephkk

Yeah, well, I guess I'm a patient guy... of course I meant 500 to 700 mA or 0.5 to 0.7 amp. lol

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Hmm, strangely enough there was a link in another thread here where the main guys from Olimex were trashing the R-pi a bit and doubting they could make it for the price.

Do you think they have an ulterior motive and not exactly unbiased position?

Reply to
David

Are you using the Hollywood edition of C++ with Gibson extensions enabled? (Usually installed under the name 'Java'.)

Memory usage while compiling KDE4 C++ sources from the command line:

PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND 1333 root 25 0 332M 316M CPU/0 0:17 96.03% 57.03% cc1plus 1351 root 85 0 48M 32M pager_/4 0:00 2.47% 1.46% as

316MB in use by the compiler. C++ is Peeeg. And then there's Java, which is Mrs Peeeeg after 8 years of marriage..

And it was said this proposed supercheap 64MB RAM RaspberryPi killer would run Android and its Java systems. Uh, you need at least 768MB of RAM for Android to be usable at all.

--
C,,
Reply to

ry

in

,

nd

.
.

on?

I'm sure they wish they could sell 10,000 of anything in the first day its on the market. Wouldn't we all?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Ummm-it's not too hard to sell 10,000 of anything if you spec it right and don't actually deliver the product! ;-)

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

COMMAND

cc1plus

The toolchain were not on the RPi. It was just the target. Just the same your point has been made, those toolchains take gigs.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

None of that is by any means trivial.

You need to put significant effort into getting that information out to the right people, convincing the sales channel that this is the right thing to push as well as the media.

Then get 10000 people to commit to buying before delivery

Anyone who can do that needs to put in a lot of effort.

Not delivering - well that is easy. Keeping momentum and recovering from it could be challenging.

I'm just not so sure why so many people appear to want them to fail.

Reply to
David

Look at the price,

it's competing with thinks like Olimexino Arm7 (vs Arm11) , 128K ram (vz 512) . no netowork (vs onboard 10/100 (over usb)), no video.

It's even challenging beaglebone, 2/3 of the features at 1/3 the price.

there's even 8-bit boards out there with higher prices.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

So to do any programming of the RPi, you still need a PC with Linux either native or in a virtual machine. Of course the same is true of any other low-cost system.

It does seem disingenuous to promote the idea that you could do significant hardware and C software development with the RPi and just a keyboard, monitor and mouse. You really need a PC and a second keyboard, monitor and mouse unless you plan to switch a lot of cables when you want to test your software.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Compiling KDE is a pretty extreme example. I find it rather disingenuous to dismiss the device as unfit for any purpose just because it isn't everything for everyone, especially when the complaints are about things that weren't design goals in the first place.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

That would be faster but you don't need an extra keyboard and monitor. You can work remote from a Linux system. Mount the filesystem of the RP using fuse and have the RP use the Linux system as X server for output.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Very good point!!

By the way, who did set the design goals in the first place ?

Was anyone here on the committee to set the design specs ??

Anyone ??????

Reply to
hamilton

Mine will charge in an hour. One of my chargers has two outputs and will handle two phones concurrently.

*WAY* too light.
Reply to
krw

Olimex

were very

prototypes in

seen,

second

board.

developers.

CAD

them.

that the

the

position?

day

And that shirt still hasn't been ironed. No product, no win; good = product (even subsidized by Broadcom, funny situation - did they order too many millions/) possible big win. Result not known yet.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And that is supposed to mean something? It is a sloppy engineer that cannot beat off such sloppy bean counters questions, and has a sloppy manager for letting the bean counter get to him/her with sloppy = questions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk