Old trackball won't work on modern laptops

My late father-in-law said on their 43rd: "How many more to go?"

He said that exactly once (didn't go over too well...).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

So, let's see. I could whip up a beefy 13.56MHz generator, put a loop under the table where the trackball usually is and then...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Some of my filter design software doesn't come any other way than DOS. Never had any problems running it all w/o a clean DOS boot. The only catches are the occasional "speed overruns", IOW the program relied on some DOS timers or whatever to flag a status but now it blazes by so fast that I can't see what the flags read. And the calc speed of those old programs on new PCs is phenomenal compared to the early 90's.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Possibly also a -12V supply as well. Most serial mice were before common usage of transceiver chips with their own power inverters.

Paul Carpenter

Where are those Turbo buttons when you need them?

Reply to
JeffM

actually, they have PCI card converters for old ISA cards.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

In comp.arch.embedded Tom Lucas wrote: ...

Wine is not for emulating hardware. If your Dos program uses Raw IO accesses and no interrupt, there are some chances. Run wine as root and allow wine to access the IO ports in question

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

For similar reasons I'm using this one (USB):

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Nice. But it seems to not allow the rolling of the ball with the thumb and if you do you'll have to bend the fingers. My old Trackman is laid out so the outer side of the stretched thumb rolls the ball and the stretched out middle or index finger can press buttons. There was never any fatigue, even after mammoth CAD sessions.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg, Drop your Guttenbergian deadnostuff, this is the future:

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Sorry, don't have flash player. Touch screens are ok but not for CAD. They'd wear out in a jiffy and get messy when you eat a bit while doing CAD. I know, I know, thou shalt not do that but...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

_I_ only _drink_ while doing CAD ;-)

Scallops, pasta, and a couple glasses of wine for lunch... whe-e-e-e ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Lots of water here. When I have to design past 8:00pm also a glass of Guinness, or Fat Tire ale.

After hearing so much about your gourmet lunches, what's your HDL and LDL values?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Only mildly over "normal"... red wine saves my butt ;-)

Generally, though, I avoid the wine when I needs to think... this afternoon is free... I bought that big-ass SimpleTech drive and am imaging everything in sight... so I sit here and play Solitaire and read the newsgroups while the system does its own thing ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature
[...]

Good. You must have the right genes then. Many HDL/LDL problems are hereditary.

Nice. I don't have that luxury right now. Doing a design that has to fit onto slightly under one square inch, yuck, but at least it's 50% analog stuff. Much of the work is finding parts that come in salt-grain size packages and are actually in stock somewhere. Oh well, but I will squeeze in a dog walk later today.

Did you get that laser design licked? Mine's done but the DFB was a tad too sluggish, waiting for the shipment of a better one. But I guess it's just setting some parameters when it arrives and it'll play (if the specs hold what they promise).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, I know, Flush Player crap (why do they always have "Skip intro" instead of "View Intro"?) but there is some very intersting stuff around, surely you have a spare garbage network PC that you can put Adobe Flush on?

And always carry a pair of latex gloves, in case you have to use an internet cafe

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Nope. When a site can only be viewed with some kind of player I assume an aggravated case of incompetence. Meaning the site is most likely not worth the time anyhow.

I've never been to an Internet cafe. Well, maybe at some airport and without knowing it but then only to have a coffee.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Does the latter always taste like burnt rubber or was it just the glass I had?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
[...]

It's 'sposed to taste like that. Just like Guinness it takes a few glasses to acquire the taste. It is one of my favorite ales. After the ones from our local brewpub, of course.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (23 Jan 2007 11:05:21 GMT) it happened jasen wrote in :

This is not completely correct, read the wine myth FAQ.

Jan Panteltje