OKI ARM MPUs

that

the

Strange, is this for the initial prototypes only? If it is for production, then it is not advisable to deliver boards which does not work.

If you claim that it is easier to produce a board without any external bus than a board with an external bus it makes sense.

If you want to have increased possibility to test a board with internal flash and external bus, which proves faulty, then JTAG works. If the clock is working, you can download to SRAM and do tests there.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

This has been a long-running thread, started long long ago (middle of the year? earlier?) The context, as I remember it, is that the OP wants the maximum possibility that the CPU can boot and self-diagnose.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I think we have had this discussion before. My goal is to produce a board which will have a high likelyhood of booting up and telling me what is working and what is not working. No need for JTAG, boundary scan or other expensive or clumsy interfaces in manufacturing. A single chip MCU is a very good self diagnostic device.

Of course if the board reports problems or does not boot, then JTAG is good for further debug. But an LED is always a good go/no go indicator.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature