Offpage connector symbols

Hi,

As a side-comment to the schematic preferences thread (hopefully not another lengthy thread :> ), I'm curious as to what folks use as an offpage connector symbol.

Given that I prefer these to be *at* the edges of the schematic

*and* given that the signal name will be "outboard" of it, I try to use very narrow symbols. And, since it is common for other such "offpage" symbols to be located immediately above and/or below, I try to keep the height of this symbol to "one intersignal spacing unit" (IsSU? :> ).

I also like to show direction of signal flow in the symbol.

This has led me to a set of six () symbols: Output Right Input Right (blech!) BiDir Right and the corollaries for "Left". (I.e., left and right refer to the edges of the page at which it is most appropriate to place these symbols).

For unidirectional signal flow, I use a pair of "concentric" (wrong word) arrow heads. E.g., >> or

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I use bigger things with the signal name inside--arrow directed outwards for outputs, inwards for inputs, like this:

/------------ < CONV_CLOCK |----- and \------------

*-------\

---| DONE >

*-------/

Cheers

Phil Hobbs Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal ElectroOptical Innovations

55 Orchard Rd Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058

email: hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

Nah, I do it in pencil--the name can be as long as my ruler. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

email: hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, but that implicitly limits the length of a signal name. I opted for small symbols (so they don't consume much lateral space) which lets me dynamically rearrange the space adjacent to the symbol for a lengthier name, etc. :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Most of the schematic editors I've used distinguish an innie from an outie, at least graphically (if not as part of a hierarchical schematic editor that even does some rules checking, like no nets with all inputs, no nets with two alway-on outputs, etc).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

That's why it's important to make sure the pin attribute on such connectors is correct.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

ted text -

Yes!! Working in production is one thing, fixing it in the field is something else!

For me, I definitely prefer signal names inside the offpage connector (arrow). NOT adjacent to the connector, or squished between the lines. Very cumbersome outside the factory.

Also, try to avoid all nomenclatures that attempt to describe the function (such as "in" or "out", etc..) when the interpretation depends on some outside intervention (such as the prespective of the tech).

For example, I wouldn't recommend using "Audio Out Right" because that same term won't make any sense when it gets to where it's going. Try "Unamplified Audio, R+", or something like that.

You get the idea.

Reply to
mpm

Jesus H. Christ on a stick YES. Every, EVERY time we have to connect two boards that have "RXD, TXD, GND", there is confusion over whether that means "data from me to you" or "data from you to me". ARGHHH!! We have literally boards that go through six "flips" of RX/TX lines because of this. Each time something in the middle got revved, someone got it wrong, and someone else added a buffer and a flip in a different subsystem.

Reply to
larwe

Pretty much. Output right (input left) makes sense at times, though I try not to use them either.

Yeah, I'd like to fit the sheet number cross references in there, but that's asking for too much.

Diamond works for me.

Reply to
krw

Wouldn't it be simpler to have pads for zero ohm resistors to configure the port? Or two positions to put the connector to chose the right configuration?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

The subsystems are designed by different groups, and the adage about design resembling organizational structure is completely true.

Reply to
larwe

I use a CAD program. It has "input", "output", "bidirectional", and "passive" (none of the above, AKA don't care) for off-page and off- sheet.

I've never seen a reason to change them from the default.

AL

Reply to
LittleAlex

This is, by far, the best idea that this thread has dredged up! I'm not sure that it can be done universally, though. E.g., you may *think* your signals are "the end of the line"...

To build on your example, designing a home stereo you would *think* that "left" and "right" are intuitive *and* descriptive. Yet, if someone plugs something else into it, all bets are off.

I frequently have to check manuals when hooking up record/playback devices to stereos, for example: is Tape In an input *from* the tape deck or an output *to* the Input on the Tape deck, etc.

I'll have to reexamine designs I have done over the years to see how I could have changed things to be less "descriptive" :>

Thanks!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yes, all of the tools I use do this. I am just not happy with their symbol choices. And, since I can change them, I have.

E.g., I don't like an output on the right side of the page drawn as <

Reply to
D Yuniskis

The canned OrCrap symbols don't include all six varieties. We don't have them in our library (gotta talk to the librarian again...) so I copy them from another schematic when I need them.

Reply to
krw

Mmm.... time for some company-wide standard design rules?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Something to bear in mind is that many users of your design won't use the schematic, eg your layout guy isn't going to look at the schematic for every net he picks up, nor is your firmware guy going to constantly check when he defines and uses an FPGA pin. We name almost every net on the board :-

{source}_{destination}_{major function name}_{minor function name}

With not much thought you can define three letter acronyms for every source and destination and probably major function name. Suddenly you have a schematic where you don't have to drill up and down through hierarchy and fewer mistakes are made.

Colin

Reply to
colin_toogood

Believe me when I tell you the last thing this company needs is any more rules or procedures.

Reply to
larwe

I know (from your earlier posts :-) ). Lucky for me I'm on the other end of the scale. I'm the only engineer here, accounting for 50% of the eployees and 100% for management :-)

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I guess your CAD package doesn't have a rotate or flip? Funny what these guys will forget. ;)

Reply to
WangoTango