NXP Gone mad

I appreciate you taking the time to respond in a positive way to this thread.

One constructive comment from myself if I may.

I have just been using the new site to search for an LPC part. For this purpose I used the parametric tables. The search results table was displayed in a new window. This would have been nice were it not for the fact that the table width was approximately 2.5 times the window width, and for some inexplicable reason the window could not be scaled/maximised. Without using the scroll bar along the bottom of the screen I could not actually view the data.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Looks like a problem that can only be solved by the pointy haired guy.

Reply to
Hershel

Richard,

Appreciate your feedback. We will pick this up immediately within the team. I will inform you personally when this issue is solved.

Kind regards,

Michel

Reply to
michel.rj.claassens

On Wednesday, in article snipped-for-privacy@nxp.com wrote: ...

Glad to see someone willing to listen to comments in constructive manner.

*Personally* I did not see it, but reminded me of the fluff on previous site, and I have little enough time for doing my work and part searches as it is. I had gicen up on NXP website previously as it was so arduous so hearing the stories (and email invitation) did NOT inspire any confidence in revisiting the site.

Actually there is a third issue related at least in part with the old site and may well be internal NXP staff procedures/problems. That is getting support.

On the old site I gave up on support, as it appears that requests either go to the bit bucket, or won't be looked at unless they already know you will be the direct contact buying 10 million+ a month. After several attempts at getting support and no response I gave up.

Other semi companies do respond and NOT just with an automated email pointing you to the website you have already been going round.

Engineers exist in various sizes of companies, I often do work for other companies who will do the production, but I am under NDAs so cannot disclose who I am working for. So it is difficult enough getting co-operation from a lot of suppliers.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

When I visit a web site I want to get things done.

does nothing at all until I change browser and filtering settings and allow half the crap that I prefer to keep disabled.

The navigation on nxp.com is dog slow, cramped and breaks all the fundamentals of web browsing. I can't tell where I have been, there are no links so I can't open anything in a new window or a tab or save a link or send it to anyone. When I have drilled down to a component and want to "read more" opening the link in a new window dumps me back to the start of the navigation system.

If a web site is a tree and I am a squirrel looking for tasty leaves your site makes me wear blinkers and heavy boots forcing me to only move backward or forward slowly and only allowing me to taste one leaf at a time.

Go to

and fill in the "Does Your Web Site Suck?" checklists.

Read some Jakob Nielsen, "About 99% of the time, the presence of Flash on a website constitutes a usability disease."

Go to

and figure out why
reports upwards of 1000 errors?

Reply to
nospam

SNIP

On the positive side, I sent a mail to webmaster(at)nxp.com and got a response from a real (I think!) person called Frank saying he would forward the input to the project leader!

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Hi Richard, What browser are you using ? - the NXP web site is particuarly Browser paranoid (more than any other)

- seems tolerable in firefox, but does not like netscape.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

In one browser on visting the website after the SECOND invitation to the new website 'EXPERIENCE' with another bloated Webpage as an email, I get clicking on ANYTHING brings up the dropdown list for languages ONLY.

In IE I get all sorts of Active X wanting to run and taken to a page telling me how to setup my browser for virus infection.

No doubt there is ONLY one page that assumes everybody uses Intern Exploder.

Hint I do not have this sort of problem with TI/National/Analog devices.....

Big clue to website developers if listening, getting 'fluff' that goes on about the 'experience' is the WRONG thing, you are going to see if parts exist/available/end of life/..... The only experience you want is to spend as LITTLE time as possible on the website, as that is NOT what you are paid to do.

Proliferation of sites with the 'My...' crap, means yet another damn stupid username/password combination to setup that no doubt screws up if you have to change email address.

Last time I counted up, the amount of sites that wanted username/passwords was over 100 for me so they have to be stored on paper or electronically, so the whole point of security is out of the window.

Most of the sites realistically don't need this combination, a username at most is needed as the information is not that confidential or is only used to contact support/sales. I.E. no money or personal detailed information is needed to be transferred.

Most people who insist on this sort of excessiveness get pointed at

Others are welcome to point the scurrilous there even if to request they go there to get there security phrase to avoid phishing/spam emails etc..

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Hi Michel, I went to the trouble of filling out a form on your site regarding the site problem, and this thread.

the response:

================================================ Hi Don,

thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your mail on to our site design team. Whenever a company changes their website, there will be those that want things the way they always were. Thank you again. ================================================

did my message get through to you, as I have had no personal response back from the design team, so I don't know if my time could have been better spent in other directions.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Microchip has one of the better sites to use. Simple and easy to find everything. And some of the best datasheets and app notes available which nxp should take note of.

Another one that is quite good is analog devices.

Not using javascript for links and having fixed urls so bookmarks work for at least a year would be great.

A button or link so can subscribe to a list for when datasheets, errata and new application notes have changed/are available would also be appreciated. Microchip does this.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Priceless. 8-)

Reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes (Jeff Goldblum):

't-stop-to-think-if-they-SHOULD

Reply to
JeffM

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:36:44 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees"

That's not enough punishment. Such people should be forced to use their own creations through a 2400 baud (or less) modem connection to the Internet.

I believe this is one of the reasons these things are inflicted upon us: Many developers of sites heavily loaded with Flash/pictures/etc review them on the same machine or internal network on which they are developed, never realizing how they perform for outsiders.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Or before they frantically start looking for another buyer for whatever may be left of the business.

I have seen electronics businesses being brought down to less than 25% of their original value in just a few years, typically by incompetence at the upper management level.

Maybe another company makes one, a company that does care about customers?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

While I hear you, brother, these things are abominations even when one has a Phat Pipe. One just gets cruft faster.

I've never fully understood why such sites go to such lengths to re-invent the medium. As I said, I'm convinced it's due to a fundamental lack of understanding of the aforementioned medium, usually defended as "creativity" - to which my response is in 2 parts: a) "boll" and b) "ocks".

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

To be fair, they _have_ now gone into frantic fix mode.

The flash front end has been consigned to the bin already.

I have sent some of the more glaring mess ups, of blind alleys, simply wrong links, and poor design decisions, and they have promised to fix them.

ZIP of PDFs is the most glaring 'decision' boo-boo :(

Operationally, it is still very sluggish, due to some poor choices, but that's not trivial to fix at this stage :(

I still specify many Philips part numbers, but the supply line is less commonly from NXP these days...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Same mess as this morning here. The home pages is completely useless. What are they thinking? Or should I ask, are they thinking?

Where did you write to? I replied to their email that asked to check the site out. No answer. Or maybe they don't care. Oh well, I am "just" a customer. Who happens to make big and usually final design decisions...

They really did that? Ouch. In that case I think it's really time for some "selective layoffs".

Operationally, it ain't operational at all here ;-)

I only do if there is a 2nd source and if I can get the datasheet via Digikey. Let's see, the last design has 520 parts per board. The number of NXP parts on there was, oops, I think it was zilch. When I started my career that would have been around 100, at the least. But back then it was a much better company. IMHO they've really wrecked it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

... snip ...

... snip ...

Why do you consider that to be so? I prefer to download .pdf files anyhow, and examine them locally, so I would consider the prezipping to be an advantage that reduces transmission time. Using bzip2 is even better!!!

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

And what, may I ask, is a CBF scowl? Should I take an interest?

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to
CBFalconer

"To be fair, they did have their foot on the brake as the car went over the cliff."

How did they get so far down the wrong road? How can anybody think for even a few minutes that their customers will find a site like that useful? Even us old-school types who remember when you had to phone a rep and have them mail you data-sheets don't have that much patience these days. When I'm trying to find a part every second I have to wait for some crappy flash thingy to load/start, every animated menu I've got to fight with, every link I've got to follow, is one step closer to the limit where I'll say to myself "screw it -- somebody else probably makes something just as good".

Don't the people who design web sites ever have to _use_ a web site -- anybody's web site? Do they enjoy on other peoples sites all the crap that they put on their own? When all the want is to check their bank balance, do they want to have to watch a 'friggin movie first? Do they want to have to mess with animated memus that verge on a badley designed video game that you can never win?

Are their views of what's good on a web site really that diametrically opposed to mine? Apparently...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! This PIZZA symbolizes
                                  at               my COMPLETE EMOTIONAL

Just FYI -- PDF is _ALREADY_ compressed. There is absolutely no sence in compressing already compressed file. Those, sorry for saying, "webdesigners" have absolutely no clue, they are computer illiterate.

That entire undertaking is SO lame that I will never ever use any of their products in my designs. It was a great company long ago but now it's just a bunch of lamers. Lamers will never do anything useful and worth even trying. All they produce is crap. And I don't believe that those, sorry for an expression, "web designers" did it theirselves. Those kids--I don't believe _ANY_ mature person would've come up with such a stupid and absolutely unprofessional kitsh--must've had the managers' approval to put this weirdo on the company web site. That means that their managers, probably up to the highest level, are the same bunch of idiots...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin