NXP Gone mad

I'd already known that marketing droids had destroyed NXP's website but I've just been on it

and they have sunk to a new low. That berk "Steve" is back with a silly Flash game. The idea is to smash the site up with a hammer but it is much more satisfying to smack the smug git in the face!

Reply to
Tom Lucas

What a mess, I suppose they will get a Second Life identity next as a support forum!

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I've always held that when a vendor _really_ doesn't want your business they'll let you know, and you should listen to their desires.

I think NXP _really_ doesn't want new business.

Too bad about their distributors.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Yikes! That's awful. Off the top of my head I can't remember what NXP does. After visiting the web site, I still don't know. With a web site like that, I'm pretty sure I never will.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! It's a lot of fun
                                  at               being alive ... I wonder if

That's the impression I got when I tried to use their tech support. To be fair, their ARM devices had a huge upswing in demand over the past

2 years and their support staff has not kept up. I understand that it takes time to ramp up support, but I have not gotten any kind of answer from their tech support and it's been several months. Surely their backlog in support can't be that long! I think they are selectively choosing which support questions to answer and that's not a good practice in my mind.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

wr

Mamma mia, what do they smoke ?!

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

When I go there, it's not so bad. I get:

"To view this page you need javascript to be enabled and Flash player

7 or higher installed.

You can go directly to The New NXP Semiconductors Website"

Which is

and it's not a bad site, at least on a quick look around.

Get Firefox and the Flashblock addon :-)

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

I went to an NXP ARM seminar a few weeks ago and it was common knowledge and agreement (customers and NXP reps) that the NXP website is an abomination. The NXP rep told us to ignore the normal nxp.com entry and instead go to

which he claims is much more like what it needs to be. I think he gave some good advice.

He hinted that "standardics" is targeted to North Americans and that the goofy shit that NXP tries to pass off on the NXP website is heavily Euro influenced. If that's true, what do you Europeans think about it?

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

That did not load in under my patience threshold, so I'll never know what they spent $$$ on. Idjits.

Webpage 101 : Do not annoy the customer base.

My NXP bookmarks seem to still work, so that's a relief.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Silly me. The first page loaded OK, Click on the first new device of interest, and they kidnap my browser into warm-fuzzy land!, and after wasting some of my time, I did see a Skip-All, but no, that does not take me to where I WAS going, but to here

a page from which there seems to be no escape !!!

I know, It's a cunning *new* form of denial-of-service attack !!

Oh dear. Bets on how long before they do a frantic fix on this fiasco ?

[and all I wanted was the new logic device data sheet]

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

That's what I'm running. All I see initially is a blank page with a large empty frame and a "play" button. There's no option on that first page to skip the annoying flash stuff.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I brought my BOWLING
                                  at               BALL -- and some DRUGS!!

Odd. I get a fairly normal corporate page, but with a JS dialogue box inviting me to submit my mobile phone number to win an iPod. Bottom left of the page is a "skip all" button, which works.

Maybe it's picking up the locale and acting differently based on that?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Correction. It's a Flash dialogue, not JS.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

There's a "skip" link there before you hit flashblocker's "play" button?

There's nothing until I hit the "play" button -- then I get the pop up asking for my mobile number (as if I'm giving that to them). There's a "skip all" button on that flash page, but the first time I click it, it just brings me back to the same page asking me for my mobile number. The second time I click it, it takes me to some horrible animated menu tree thingy that responds so slowly to mouse movement that it's really annoying.

Do people at companys like that really have no clue what sort of web site engineers like to use?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
                                  at

Interesting. I'm running (portable) Firefox 2.0.0.3, with Flashblock

1.5.3.1 and Adblock 0.5.3.043. Oddly, I don't even get the usual Flashblock empty box with the Play button. Adblock doesn't block anything except a google-analytics url.
--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Glad I went and had a look, as I was wondering what everyone was on about.

This is as bad as a web site can get from a user un-friendly point of view.

I hope someone that matters at NXP reads this thread, as this is a sure fire, road map to self-destruction.

When I set up my new shopping cart, flash was voted the most hated item, and simply dropping it improved the site customer feed back dramatically.

My personal hate are sites that make ridiculous (or any) audio sounds, and stupid do nothing mouse followers. They have broken every rule in the book. You wouldn't want to have to go back to the site if you needed info, would you? So you wouldn't buy any product from them.

Perhaps NXP don't have a customer feed back dept.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Blindly following your link got that nasty web site.

Using

works just fine (well, in as much as they can come up with an uncluttered web site).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Yup. When we redeveloped *our* shopping basket, we even took Javascript out of the equation. The objective was for it to work with nothing more than Lynx (a text-based browser with no add-ins). (It did reduce customer weirdnesses. Now we just have problems with customers who can't spell their own name and/or address... sigh...)

With my other (webhosting) hat on, I deal with a number of web developers. Broadly speaking, when it's a corporate, it's a PR agency, and it's a graphics design person who likes Flash. Flash *does* have a part to play - the same as any other embedded object (e.g. a picture or, dog forbid, an audio background ). If you really need eye candy, fine, but basing an entire site - or just a site navigation system - on it betrays a total and complete lack of understanding of the medium. Such people should be forced to take a test on the W3C Accessibility Guidelines. Gah.

See above re .

One of my suppliers (who shall remain nameless, but are relatively small) had a Flash-based site. I couldn't even cut'n'paste contact and address details. I complained. A few weeks later, the site has some real, cut'n'pastable HTML in place of the old contact page. Wahay.

In contrast, one of my (rather well-known) musical clients asked me to link to another (well-known) singer's site. The latter was entirely Flash-based, and hardcoded for 640*480. I run a 1280*1024 desktop. I couldn't read the text, and couldn't resize it. Furthermore, there was a .wav file in an endless loop in the background. I made some (constructive and diplomatic, I thought) suggestions to the singer's webmaster. I got shouted at down a telephone line - the gist of which amounted to "we're graphics designers, we're creative, and we don't care about no steenkin' standards". The site has remained unchanged.

Oh dear, I appear to be ranting. Ahem.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Sometimes it seems companies really want to self-destruct - perhaps the people doing the website have some sort of angst.

Need to update the 'worst websites of tech companies' again (there was a thread on it a while back on s.e.d amongst others).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Have you got any direct links to the webmaster (master?) , I tried the "contact page", just another frigging form to fill out. Thats alt +F4 to me

martin

Reply to
martin griffith