Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Hi All,

My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte
arrary data, what can I do?

Could you please advice?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Boki.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Stating the obvious, use a different processor, add more memory, or optimise
your program.

+ Can you analyse your code to see if any variables can use smaller data
types (bits for Booleans rather than bytes, etc), or
+ Share a memory location (i.e. are variables used in a mutually exclusive
way so can be overwritten), or
+ Does all the global data really need to be global?  or
+ Can you work with a smaller stack allocating more RAM to global data?

If you get down to this then i would suggest your application is not
supportable on your current hardware, and you are on a hiding to nothing
anyway.

Good luck!

Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
Clear procedure to improve problem.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Boki.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

I think we need some more details on your problem; what memory are you
short on, RAM, ROM ? What kind of data do you need to store, and how do
you want to access it ? Apart from adding memory (which might or might
not be possible on your platform) you could try some tricks with
compression or storing your data in another way.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
but, there are no too many  similar data ...

and I have to program the algorithm first, and it also occupy memory,
am I right?  :)

Best regards,
Boki.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
Hello Boki,

Please, *please* quote the appropriate part of the message you are
replying to. Read http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ why you should
be doing this.

We might be able to help you with this, but you still have to provide
some details for that. What kind of project are you working on, what
processor are you using, how much RAM/ROM/FLAST/etc is available there,
what data are you trying to store, etc etc

Ofcourse, but there's different kinds of memory; since we do not know
anything about your platform, we can not give you any hints on
decreasing code or data size. If you want help, tell us more.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

With lots of unused cpu power, you could consider
compressing the memory contents.

Rene

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Figure out how much memory you need before choosing the micro.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
In fact, it is not a MCU.

it is a RF CHIP, and can run C language.

Best regards,
Boki.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Buy a bigger one.

HTH
HAND.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
On 13 Jan 2006 01:55:11 -0800, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@ms21.hinet.net

Ah, the ever-cryptic Boki strikes again. Details?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:36:23 -0500, in comp.arch.embedded Spehro

Always a challenge.......

martin

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
Well, you could use brute force!

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.
Hi All,

I foudn the chip provides programmer to use a function to allocate a
memory block and return a pointer, when I got a pointer, I don't know
how to assign variable continually,

/* GetPointer(T) is a function that allocate memory size (T) and return
the pointer(byte) */
ex:
Now, I have to assign data as:

unsigned char *A = 0;
A = (unsigned char *)GetPointer(255);

A[0]12%3;
A[1]31%2;
A[255]=xxx;

Is that the only way?
Thank you very much for your kindly advice!

Best regards,
Boki.

Re: Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Hire somebody with a clue.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I feel partially
                                  at               hydrogenated!

That's always the problem with arrary data. It's too much and it
don't fit.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Site Timeline