NOR flash erase failures - what do they look like?

If we lost power during a flash block erase on a traditional CFI NOR flash
(e.g. S29AL032D) what would the resulting bit pattern likely look like? I
know that the erase operation flips all bits to 1 so would it be possible to
see an occasional 0 in a sea of 1s? Or would we see successive 0xFFs up to
some point and then the previous content in the higher addresses?

Re: NOR flash erase failures - what do they look like?

I don't know for certain but expect that the block is erased in parallel,
so that you could see some, but not all bits changed from 0 to 1.  More
worrisome is that some of the erased bits may be barely erased, susceptable
to misreading later.

You could run an experiment of interrupting erasures and looking at memory.

Site Timeline