non-PCI 10/100 Ethernet Controller on the cheap

We are developing a TCP/IP enabled embedded product and are looking for a 10/100 non-PCI Ethernet Controller for as close to $3 (budgetary pricing) as possible. We've found SMSC and Asix products as low as $8. Is there anything out there that might be cheaper?

Reply to
sansuikyo

I'm curious - how was your budgetary pricing decided? Based on what volume?

FYI, ASIX direct price starts at $7 @ qty25 (MOQ) and go to $5 @ qty1000. Are you getting prices from a distributor?

See also Davicom, though they seem to be the least common:

Good luck, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Which SMSC part is that?

Reply to
Johnny

"sansuikyo" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Davicom is quite cheap, but I doubt $3.

Which MCU are you using today? It is probably cheaper with an integrated MCU+Ethernet. Next year you will see single chip ARM+Flash+SRAM+Ethernet so you might want to prepare for this....

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Ulf Samuelsson wrote on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:58:53 +0100: [.....]

Polish branch of Acte sells them for $5.55 + VAT @ 180pcs (2 trays - MOQ). For about $3.5 one can buy a 10Mbps controller eg. RTL8019AS or Davicom's DM9008; CS8900 is more expensive AFAIR.

But usually you have to add an external PHY - about $3 + space on PCB.

Will it have also a built-in Ethernet PHY?

Regards, /J.D.

Reply to
Jan Dubiec

The LAN9118-MT and LAN9118-MD

Reply to
sansuikyo

Actually I just heard back from the folks at ASIX and they did quote me $5 for 1000 pieces. Thanks.

Reply to
sansuikyo

We are looking at the Atmel AT91SAM7S256 and the Philips LPC2138. The Atmel AT91SAM7X128 looks ideal but will not be available in time for us.

Reply to
sansuikyo

It's probably cheaper to use a part with built in MAC.

I like the Motorola MCF5270, 32 bits, 95 mips, 10/100 phy, 64K of SRAM and $7.50 at 10K

You need to add a Phy and some flash, SDRAM if you want more than 64k,

We use a Davicom 10/100 PHY it can be had for less than $2 in 10K quantity I've also seen the ADMTek/Infineon phy quoted in this price range...

All in all one could get a semiconductior BOM significantly less than $15.00

Netburner has Modules, a reference design and a full set of RTOS, tcp and tools for this part that will be availible in Q1.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

$7.50 at 10K

$15.00

tools for this part

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

$15.00

No, it will be cheaper than $15 with the single chippers and external MAC+PHY. Should also have much smaller footprint. You will be correct when the AT91SAM7X128 appears. An alternative to the AT91SAM7S64 is the AT91FR4042 w 256 kKB SRAM and 512 kB Flash. If 64 kB RAM is used for data, then there is 192 kB SRAM left for fast execution and plenty of space for slow execution.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
This is a personal view which may or may not be
share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

I have waiting for a AT91R40008 with LAN and/or USB on board. Obviously I need EBI as well. An RTC for low power battery operation would be good too. Fortunately I can wait about a year for production pieces. I wonder if there is there any chance?

regards, Johnny.

Reply to
Johnny

You chance is with the AT91C140 or the AT91RM9200 at the moment

None of these have significant amount of SRAM internally, but support SDRAM. Only the AT91RM9200 has USB and the AT91RM9200 "RTC" lacks battery backup.

The AT91SAM7X series is currently in design, but production date can only be guessed. My guess is end next year.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com
These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they
may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Nice - when's it being added to the Mega128? ;-)

Reply to
Richard H.

It would be nice to see a part like the AT91RM9200, but with an integral PHY. So far the only ARMs with an integral MAC and PHY that I've found are from Micrel and Broadcom. Both require external Flash memory. I'm having a hard time getting the eval board for the Micrel, though chips are readily available through distribution and fairly inexpensive even in small quantities. Broadcom appears to not want to sell chips except in large OEM quantities, and technical documentation appears to only be available under NDA.

The other part I've seen with an integrated PHY is the new Freescale MC9S12NE64. It has on-board 64KB of onboard Flash memory, but only

8KB of RAM, so I'm not sure if it will be suitable for any of my designs without adding external RAM.
Reply to
Eric Smith

I was a software contractor for a while, working for DirecTV, who has used Broadcom chips in the past. They were, by far, the worst company I've ever worked with in getting information for their chipsets.

When DirecTV has problems getting information you know something is screwed up with that company's marketing division.

Broadcom's chips were usually superior in design, however DirecTV (it was actually Hughes for that job) would go with STMicro stuff when at all possible because of the problems with dealing with Broadcom. Ok, chipset costs also had something to do with it...

-Zonn

--
Zonn Moore            Remove the ".AOL" from the
Zektor, LLC           email address to reply.