no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
no strip hookup wire

   Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical
use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but solder
at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've tried
will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

   Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage range
would be appreciated.

Hul
--
- for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
On 18 Oct 2005 18:43:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@shell1.iglou.com (Hul Tytus)

I use #24 teflon-covered wire.  It resists solder, but can be stripped
in tight places simply by "pinching" with needle-nose pliers... very
handy for making tight PCB reworks.  At GenRad we called such boards
"blue-wired" for the color of the insulation.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Hul

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

I've used kynar insulated wire wrap wire like that ..  the insulation melts
easily under soldering heat, and the wire is available in 26, 28 and 30 AWG.
Find it at most outlets and catalog distributors.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

Hul

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

http://www.westlakeplastics.com/msds/msds_kynar%20740.pdf
"... if this material is heated in excess of 600 F (315 C) hazardous
decomposition products will be produced. Hazardous decomposition products
include hydrogen fluoride and oxides of carbon, the concentrations of which
vary with temperature and heating regimens."

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the finished insulation; the msds
refers to the raw pellets. I expect that it does, but don't know the risk
level relative to say flux or any of the other junk we burn and breathe.

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

I hacked a wire wrap tool to do this. A WSU-30M:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/623/1537.pdf
I filed off the  rivet holding the little stripper blade to the middle
of the tool, and stuck it in an X-acto handle. I could daisy-chain an
arbitrary number of pins (all .1" thru-hole, of course). :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
Consiolidated makes a  26 guage. Probably available through Digikey.

Re: no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

For prototyping work I often use enamelled copper wire in 26swg or thinner.
The coating that works best for me is the pinker one. It is even easy to
solder down at a kink in the wire for wire-through connections. The trick
is to just tin the very end before putting it down to the board.

Note that some of the enamel coatings are not so easy to burn off.