no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design no strip hookup wire

Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but solder at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've tried will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage range would be appreciated.

Hul

--
- for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -
Reply to

I use #24 teflon-covered wire. It resists solder, but can be stripped in tight places simply by "pinching" with needle-nose pliers... very handy for making tight PCB reworks. At GenRad we called such boards "blue-wired" for the color of the insulation.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thanks Jim - I'll give that a try. There's some thermocouple wire handy that'll serve for a test.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I've used kynar insulated wire wrap wire like that .. the insulation melts easily under soldering heat, and the wire is available in 26, 28 and 30 AWG. Find it at most outlets and catalog distributors.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

Reply to
Jona Vark

For prototyping work I often use enamelled copper wire in 26swg or thinner. The coating that works best for me is the pinker one. It is even easy to solder down at a kink in the wire for wire-through connections. The trick is to just tin the very end before putting it down to the board.

Note that some of the enamel coatings are not so easy to burn off.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Thanks Dave. I tried that this afternoon with another brand of

30 gage wire-wrap wire and it worked. I've put a roll of 26 gage Kynar on the list.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

"... if this material is heated in excess of 600 F (315 C) hazardous decomposition products will be produced. Hazardous decomposition products include hydrogen fluoride and oxides of carbon, the concentrations of which vary with temperature and heating regimens."

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the finished insulation; the msds refers to the raw pellets. I expect that it does, but don't know the risk level relative to say flux or any of the other junk we burn and breathe.

Reply to
Mike Young

I hacked a wire wrap tool to do this. A WSU-30M:

I filed off the rivet holding the little stripper blade to the middle of the tool, and stuck it in an X-acto handle. I could daisy-chain an arbitrary number of pins (all .1" thru-hole, of course). :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie