Newbie: Problem programming AT90CAN128 through STK500 board.

Hi, I have a custom made communication gateway PCB with an AT90CAN128 microcontroller meant to control OnPCB components. The PCB card has its own 6 PIN ISP interface that i connect to the 6 PIN ISP of the STK500 board. The STK500 board is connected to the PC through the standard RS232 cable. I am using AVR studio 4 to download the program onto the controller's flash memory. When i try to access the controller's flash for programming...it fails. The error says: 'Failed to enter the programming mode'. I have checked the pin diagrams and connections. That seems to be okey. I wanted to ask whether the procedure to program the controller in this way is right or not? ...Plz help. When I went through the STK500 manual, it says something about using STK501 top module for the AT90CAN128. Please explain what this STK501 top module is or where can i find the relevent solution for it?

thanx and regards... Ravi Pathak

Reply to
Rav

Hi,

I have a custom made communication gateway PCB with an AT90CAN128 microcontroller. The PCB card has its own 6 PIN ISP interface that i connect to the 6 PIN ISP of the STK500 board. The STK500 board is connected to the PC through the standard RS232 programming port. I am using AVR studio 4 to download the program onto the controller's flash memory. When i try to access the controller's flash for programming...it fails. The error says: 'Failed to enter the programming mode'. I have check the pin configurations and connections. Those seems to be ok. I wanted to ask whether the procedure to program the controller in this way is right or not? ...Plz help. When I went through the STK500 manual, it says something about using STK501 top module for the AT90CAN128. Please explain what this STK501 top module is or where can i find the relevent solution for it?

thanx and regards... Ravi Pathak

Reply to
Rav

The STK501 has a clamshell socket to hold a 64-pin chip. You don't need it to use the STK500 on-board ISP.

Firstly, check which pins of the 128 you have connected to the ISP connector and make sure it is PDI & PDO not MOSI & MISO.

Is there another device also connected to the PDI (PE0) pin? If so you will need to isolate it from the ISP connector with a resistor. Usually

4k7 is fine. The ISP pin must be connected directly to the PDI pin on the CAN128.
--
John B
Reply to

U r saying that the AT90CAN128 uses PDI/PDO for programming rather than MOSI/MISO..???

Reply to
Rav

U r saying that the AT90CAN128 uses PDI/PDO for programming rather than MOSI/MISO..???

Reply to
Rav

... snip ...

U doesn't post here anymore, nor does U r. I.e. geekspeek is not appropriate behaviour for Usenet.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

RTFM, that's what data sheets are for.

From the way you write, I guess reading may be a problem.

--
John B
Reply to

My apologies for the way i presented my query. I didn't intend to ask that way. I am very sorry about all the mess and assure it won't happen in he future.

thanks

Reply to
Rav