Newbie on AVR dev. envir.: can't use other more powerful asm in AVRStudio. Hints needed.

Hi everybody.

    Beginner in the development on AVR MCUs (but not on MCUs in general), I
tried to find more powerful assemblers than the default AVRASM32 and to make
them work into AVRStudio 4, because I'll need advanced assembly directives
or functionalities like nested macros, conditional or looped assembly to
manage my further source code correctly.
    Although I found many free assemblers that can fit my needs (like
GAVRASM or AVRTERSE), I'm unable to make them run into AVRStudio 4 because
of the following reasons :
- the call to AVRASM32 seems to be hard-coded in AVRStudio 4 (although the
AVRTERSE page seems to mention an "assembler setting" option I don't find)
- substituting the original AVRASM32.EXE file by a renamed copy of my
desired assembler either crashes the IDE or shows command line
incompatibilities.

    Then what is the solution, especially if I want to keep the AVRStudio
environment (for the editor and simulation conveniences) ? Should I use an
older version of AVRStudio (that maybe permits to use other assemblers or
wrapper batch files) ? In this case, how to uninstall manually and cleanly
my current AVRStudio since the automatic uninstall fails because of missing
uninstall information ?
    Or should I use other free IDEs and assemblers ? Should I use the free
IAR development tools provided by ATMEL (they've got very good
functionalities, but they don't seem to fit in AVRStudio) ?
    Otherwise what are the most common development environment configuration
?

    Note that I've got no problems with the chip programming (I use PonyProg
separately).

    (questions already asked on one AVRFreaks web-based newsgroup, but I
found no means to redirect all the answers in one place, as usually
requested when crossposting (I do it exceptionally)).

    Thanks in advance.

Thierry C.

Re: Newbie on AVR dev. envir.: can't use other more powerful asm in AVRStudio. Hints needed.

there is another assembler named " AVRA " . includes macro capability
and condional assmbly. I did not try this with avrstudio4, but worked
with easrlier version of studio
http://tihlde.org/~jonah/el /

rw

Re: Newbie on AVR dev. envir.: can't use other more powerful asm in AVRStudio. Hints needed.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:08:09 +0200, "Thierry C. \(NOOS\)"

Why not just use m4 as the front end?

http://www.gnu.org/software/m4 /

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA