Newbie on AVR dev. envir.: can't use other more powerful asm in AVRStudio. Hints needed.

Hi everybody.

Beginner in the development on AVR MCUs (but not on MCUs in general), I tried to find more powerful assemblers than the default AVRASM32 and to make them work into AVRStudio 4, because I'll need advanced assembly directives or functionalities like nested macros, conditional or looped assembly to manage my further source code correctly. Although I found many free assemblers that can fit my needs (like GAVRASM or AVRTERSE), I'm unable to make them run into AVRStudio 4 because of the following reasons :

- the call to AVRASM32 seems to be hard-coded in AVRStudio 4 (although the AVRTERSE page seems to mention an "assembler setting" option I don't find)

- substituting the original AVRASM32.EXE file by a renamed copy of my desired assembler either crashes the IDE or shows command line incompatibilities.

Then what is the solution, especially if I want to keep the AVRStudio environment (for the editor and simulation conveniences) ? Should I use an older version of AVRStudio (that maybe permits to use other assemblers or wrapper batch files) ? In this case, how to uninstall manually and cleanly my current AVRStudio since the automatic uninstall fails because of missing uninstall information ? Or should I use other free IDEs and assemblers ? Should I use the free IAR development tools provided by ATMEL (they've got very good functionalities, but they don't seem to fit in AVRStudio) ? Otherwise what are the most common development environment configuration ?

Note that I've got no problems with the chip programming (I use PonyProg separately).

(questions already asked on one AVRFreaks web-based newsgroup, but I found no means to redirect all the answers in one place, as usually requested when crossposting (I do it exceptionally)).

Thanks in advance.

Thierry C.

Reply to
Thierry C. (NOOS)

there is another assembler named " AVRA " . includes macro capability and condional assmbly. I did not try this with avrstudio4, but worked with easrlier version of studio

rw

Reply to
Rein Wiehler

Why not just use m4 as the front end?