Newbie Again. Where to start?

Hi,

I'm so interested in Operating Systems and Embedded Systems. I have basic knowledge about both of them. But I want to go deeper. I asked before same questions. But the answer was not enough. Let's start from beginning.

I have made some experiment on Microchip's PIC like light LEDs. Which Microcontroller is the most used or which is good to start? My target(or dream) is to port linux to my embedded device. (I know it is difficult for me to make this now. But I said it is a dream :( )

I have planned to work on this in all summer. So there is so much free time to search, read books & documents. Can you advice some books and web sites?

Thanks...

Reply to
Tolga Onbay

The easiest MCU to start with, which has devices large enough for Linux is ARM. Start with either the Phillips or Atmel ARM MCUs. These are too small for Linux, but once you are comfortable with the MCUs, you can use one of the bigger ARMs, and add enough memory for Linux.

You can also buy small ARM based modules that has Linux already in flash, or a linux port available. Often it is ucLinux. Ask in the comp.os.linux.embedded for suitable modules.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Anton, thanks for your reply.

I think I have to buy programmer and evaluation board for ARM MCUs. Where can i buy these?Or is there any way to do this by myself? Can you give me some websites?

Thanks again...

Reply to
Tolga Onbay

Atmel sells a development kit for their ARM9 MCU that has a full linux port. If you want to use something that you can use directly in a final product, you can try one of the modules from

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

We have a discussion on "hardware platform" at "comp.os.linux.embedded". In particular, we are checking into the xscale arm. We are looking for help in porting a boot loader (2K bytes max), kernel (USB host) and Jtag tools. We are willing to provide the necessary hardware and other incentives.

Basically, we need to bootstrap from the memory mode of a CF and load the kernel and/or file system from the rest (or another IDE device). The full system (128M) must support USB and I2C devices.

We will continue on comp.os.linux.embedded.

Reply to
linnix

Why not stick with pics for now if you are a bit familiar with them and have used them. Can do quite a lot with pics. Easy to use.

Why not try writing your own small operating system ?

has lots of examples you can look at.

has some good tutorials.

If you wanted to use c or other language there are a few free compilers.

Jal - a pascal like language

hitech have a free limited version PICC LITE of their compiler for the 16f pics

If you are using 18f pics there is the student version of microchip C18 compiler

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

thank you all.

Alex, The reason, that I want to use Atmel ARM, is I'm going to port linux to my embedded device. But I don't know anything about ARM. I think I'm going to do what you said. Because I don't have any programmer or development board for ARM.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Tolga Onbay

You can get very cheap ARM development boards from various places. Try

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Is there any document or website to build my own development kit for ARM?

Reply to
Tolga Onbay

Start with one of these cheap development boards. They come with schematics and examples to get you going. Once you have more knowledge about how everything sticks together, you can start designing something yourself. You need a thorough understanding of how everything works before you have any hope of getting Linux to run on your own hardware. Trying to run when you haven't even crawled yet is, is a recipy for disaster.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus