Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have been doing desktop development in C++ for a while now. However, I want to get into embedded development. It just seemd very interesting and I am sure I will enjoy it. However, I am facing the problem that is not so uncommon. Where do I start? There is just so much out there, one is at a loss at where to begin.

Can someone suggest good books that are aimed at begineers. Also, what boards should I look at in the beginning. Also, if someone can suggest some begineer projects that I can do, that would also be very helpful.

Thanks,

Pankaj

Reply to
Pankaj Daga

Welcome to the world of embedded systems. For books, I would suggest "Programming Embedded Systems with C and C++" and "Designing Embedded Hardware" from O'Reilly. The former book uses the x86 as an example but it gives a good overview of how programming embedded systems is different from a desktop system. The latter book gets you more into the hardware aspects.

Unlike the desktop world, the embedded world uses many more processors, like the 8051, PIC, AVR, MSP430, and others. There's all sorts of documentation on the microcontrollers at their manufacturer's website including application notes on how to use them. Many also have evaluation/demo boards/kits you can purchase. Some also have free development software (Atmel's AVR Studio, Microchip's MPLAB) that have a simulator so you can fool with the instruction set without hardware.

Good luck. Have fun!

Reply to
Gary Kato