New to embedded software..newbie advice?

I've been working as a software engineer since 1995.  The domain has been
distributed applications, mainly Java (windows) but also used to do C++
(unix).

I've grown tired of the whole enterprise software thing and want to break
into embedded systems programming.  I would love to find a job working with
C and assembler (something I never got the chance to really learn or apply).

I start classes at UC Irvine tonight to get their certificate for Embedded
Systems Design.  I've got what seem to be the core learning books for
embedded programming, and I'll get to play with a few microcontrollers
during my education.  I hope to come away from these courses with enough
knowledge to know how to assemble a very simple embedded system and put some
software on it to make it do something.

What advice would you give a senior software engineer that wanted to
transition into embedded programming? I plan to obtain some kits for the
more popular microcontrollers so that I can at least have some kind of
experience to talk about when I search for a job as an embedded programmer
(but it won't be professional experience).

Web links? Publications to subscribe to? user groups? things to buy and
build?  Any of that info would be appreciated!

Thanks
-Jeff

Re: New to embedded software..newbie advice?

try:
http://www.dontronics.com/auto.html
http://www.dontronics.com/dt006.html

--
Don McKenzie  E-mail:    http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
              Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

Re: New to embedded software..newbie advice?
Checkout the following link for articles on Embedded Software:

http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra /

Articles about Embedded System Projects:

http://www.eventhelix.com/ThoughtProjects /

Sandeep
--
http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Message Sequence Charts in PDF

Re: New to embedded software..newbie advice?
Sorry Dr. Vids,
    I'm afraid I don't have a barrow.

    Check out:

        www.embedded.com