New to Embedded Software

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:49:59 -0800, Paul E. Bennett wrote (in article ):

Quite a while ago I was using Cosmic C on HC11's and was amazed at the code it produced. Hello World was something like 28 bytes. Good C compilers for micros can do tricks I wouldn't do in assembly for readability reasons. There are plenty of things I would still code by hand but anything reasonably "normal" seems to work out. However, I still think C sucks as a language.

-- Charlie Springer

Reply to
Charlie Springer

Changed my mind :-)

Go to Sparkfun and get this

and twiddle bits in BASIC for a while.

-- Charlie Springer

Reply to
Charlie Springer

Think a data base of programming tricks applied where appropriate. In time embedded C compilers produce some incredible. I am amazed at some of the code that comes out of the compilers we have written when combinations of code invokes several rule sets and the produced code is not something we would have thought of.

Regards

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Walter Banks

Think a data base of programming tricks applied where appropriate. In time embedded C compilers produce some incredible code. I am amazed at some of the code that comes out of the compilers we have written when combinations of code invokes several rule sets and the produced code is not something we would have thought of.

Regards

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Walter Banks

Your software sounds impressive. One reading of "C is King" is that out of all the examples the best one is king. In that sense your C compiler might be king.

I was thinking of the more common use of the phrase that, "in this field something is King" means it is the most common or most dominate thing.

What I meant when I said that C had not been King in the low-end embedded computing is that there is a LO

Reply to
Jeff Fox

... snip ...

You apparently have Firefox set to wrap output text at 72 char, which is fine (although I recommend 67). However you should not terminate your sentences with (or ) - let the newsreader do it. Just use the to install a blank line, to mark paragraphs. That will avoid the funny output you have above.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Your software sounds impressive. One reading of "C is King" is that out of all the examples the best one is king. In that sense your C compiler might be king.

I was using it more in the form of the most widely used thing is King or that with the largest market share is king. I still don't think C dominates in the

Reply to
Jeff Fox

It depends what you are doing.

Chris H