New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

STMicroelectronics has introduced the STM8 8-bit low power microcontroller.

http://microcontroller.com/news/STM8.asp

It is software compatible with ST's ST7 and offers better than 10x the
performance.

It can run at anywhere from 1.6V to 5.0V supply current.

Bill Giovino
Executive Editor
http://Microcontroller.com

Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade
performance.

??! - you may like to re-read the press release, and data sheets more
carefully. (and 5V is a voltage, not a 'supply current')
:)

-jg

Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

"Jim Granville" wrote...

OUCH!!!!!!

That was a partial cut/paste, that sentence originally said "It can draw =
only an 11mA supply current at 24MHz"

(hits self on side of head and skulks off in disbelief)

Thanks, Jim (he writes sheepishly)

-Bill.

Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

Please do not post HTML to Usenet.  Pure plain unadorned text is
used.  Some systems can be destroyed by reading evil HTML.

 [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

Apparently it has quite high power consumption compared to let's say an
ARM7TDMI core 1.2 mW/MHz @ 3V vs 0.21 mW/MHz for ARM.
Uses up to 25 uA in sleep.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Now I know why my old-time power professor always referred
to electronic "sneak currents"!  In his field, he lost
more current than that around the HV transmission line
insulators.

Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

Hard to find an ARM microcontroller (or comparable performance non-ARM)
that draws much less than 25 uA in sleep.  Even most of the Atmel AT91SAM7x
parts seem to draw around that much, according to the data sheets.
For instance, AT91SAM7S family typical is 34.3 uA (Atmel document 6175H dated
03-Dec-07, page 553).

Re: New STM8 Microcontroller from STMicroelectronics is ST7 Upgrade

And most of that 34 uA is coming from the on-chip regulator.
The core uses 4 uA (current measured over AMP2).

You can disable the internal LDO and use an external LDO which
would have an inherent power consumption of about 1 uA.
This would of course cost extra, and use more space.

You can also look at the new 1.8V AT91SAM7L :-)

The 25 uA, should however be compared to similar 8/16 bit micros
The X-Mega uses 1-2 uA in sleep with Brownout&RTC.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson