Need to run old 8051 firmware

Chris H schrieb:

Even with several ten thousands rows of assembler that needs not be a problem. BTDT. It's a matter of structure and documentation. (I am still doing many projects completely in assembler.)

Even with C you need to access the SFRs (ports, peripherals) somehow. If these accesses are splattered across the whole sources, it doesn't matter if it's C or assembler.

Memory allocation is normally uncritical, since that is easily portable between many similar derivatives. Of course, if you previously had a device with large XRAM (being used indeed) and try to port that to a smaller chip, you'll run into problems... But again, in this case C wouldn't help you either.

Basically, the part that you can leave unchanged with C, is the same part that you can leave unchanged with assembler.

Tilmann

Reply to
Tilmann Reh

en

ge.

C.

re

I used this firm to port some IBM assembler to C. Their tools actually worked well, except for the self-modifying code, which tripped them up ;-) Make sure its a fixed-price contract...

The correct URL is:

Hope that helps ! Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler

it

It

My 2 cents.

  1. The 537 comes in a 84-pin package, so finding a "modern" part with that much I/O is going to be a challenge, this was a top of the line
51-device in the late 80s
  1. It has a MUL/DIV unit to accelerate 32/16 DIV and / or 16x16 MUL, much faster than a library. The only other device I know with the same MUL/DIV unit is the C509, unfortunately that one comes in a 100 pin package and is afaik a true superset of the 80C537.

So, as pointed out, the lowest cost and by far fastest option is to find a broker. Hint: you can use the 80C517 as well because it is drop in compatible. The EA pin will always be connected for start from external memory when using a 80C537, so the 80C517 behaves EXACTLY like a 80C537 as long as the EA pin is not connected to the start from internal ROM option.

Hope this helps, An Schwob Once upon a time I was an FAE supporting the 80C5x7, I know (knew?) these devices really well ;-) If it comes down to it to re-engineer or port to a different device and you need professional help, write me an e-mail to microcontroller addgmaildotcom

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

Yes, the 80C517/80C517A may give him enough parts, to not need much Sw effort at all...

-jg

Reply to
-jg