Need schematic to make programmer for PIC18 family PICs

I would like to build my own programmer for Microchip PICs. There are many schematics on the Internet available but I can't seem to find exactly what I want. What I would like is something that provides all (or most) of the following functions:

  • Can program PIC18 family of devices (or all of the major PIC families if possible)

  • In-circuit programming (not debugging): the electronics used for programming need to be physically separated somehow from the electronics of my own application circuit. However, if the number of parts needed just for the programming section is relatively small, I have no problem including these on my application board. The idea is that I attach my application circuit to the programmer and program the PIC. Then I remove my application circuit from the programmer and can use my circuit immediately. This makes updating the firmware convienient. I prefer not to have to remove PIC chips from sockets.

  • The hardware needs to be supported by some well known software application that will be used to flash the PICs.

  • USB is the preferred interface between my PC and the programmer although parallel and serial ports will also do.

  • Would be nice to also have a schematic of a general purpose development board containing LEDs, buttons, etc that are interfaced to the PICs so that general breadboarding can be carried out. This breadboard (development board) should also be separated from the actual programming circuit. I realize that this is dependent on the actual PIC type but if there is a schematic for prototyping PIC18 family (or related PICs), that is what I could use.

Any partial suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks again Johann Blake

Reply to
johannblake

What about a bootloader ? either through RS232 or USB, works great. Stef Mientki

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Stef Mientki

Stef, could you be a little more specific. What's a bootloader, what hardware and software do you need to make it work?

Thanks Johann

Reply to
johannblake

Donald

Check out the EasyProg and QuickProto boards from Embed, Inc.:

Documentation for both is on-line, and you can buy the EasyProg in kit form (or just a bare board).

-- Dave Tweed

Reply to
David Tweed