Need Sample MPC860 Code

Hi, i am working with an Embedded Planet RPX MPC860 board and am
totally new to embedded programming. All i want to do is verify the
steps to compile some code and put it into the flash memory. I can
follow the steps to make the flash image but i need some sample code
to put in. If some one could just point me to the right direction
where i can find any small peice of code that can run in the MPC860 i
would greatly apretiate it. Anything will suffice, maybe somthing
small like a counter or somthing that toggles a register in the
MPC860.

I am just really new at this and am having a hard time finding the
proper libraries for c so i don't really know what sort of functions
calls are at my disposal. Anything to get me started will be nice.

Please help!! Thanks in advance.

Fahd A

Re: Need Sample MPC860 Code
http://www.allayer.com/pdf/ab006.pdf

Re: Need Sample MPC860 Code

Hi, Thanks for the link, i already saw that one, unfortunatlly the
source code in there is not targetted for the MPC860, it is ABLE-HDL
targeting a PAL. I was looking for some simple source code running
inside the MPC860.

I am wondering, if i wrote a simple Hello World program using stdio as
the library but targeted it to the MPC860, exactlly what would the
printf statement write out to? Maybe i can substitute the printf for
another function that would write out to the serial port so i can
monitor it? I think i also need to make sure that the MPC860 is
already running a linux kernel. As you can tell i am a total noob.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("Hello World !\n"); // Maybe substitute this with another
function?
return(0);
}

Thank you for your help.

Fahd

Re: Need Sample MPC860 Code

There is sample code for the MBX860 - a MPC860 based board from the Motorola
Computer Group available at:

http://www.omega-environment.com/omegaBspDistribution.html
http://www.omega-environment.com/downloads.html#omegaBspDistribution

Download the 'Omega Environment OmegaBSP Distribution' and disregard the
references to the Omega RTOS - should serve as a good example.

Dave.

--
David J Edgar
Cedaryacht Limited

Re: Need Sample MPC860 Code

Download the U-Boot source code, study it, configure it for  the  RPX
board (which is supported as one of the many default configurations),
install  it  into  flash,  run  it, check the example programs in the
examples/ directory, etc.

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

Thanks Denk, I will try and do a search for the U-Boot source. Does
Denx have this on their website? By the way i was already using the
ELDK 2.1.0 from denx to do the cross compilations. Thanks for all your
help guys, i might also pickup the programming book.

Oh, and i came across this place montavistasoftware.com, they offer a
linux distribution for the RPXlite board from EP,  i have an app note
that describes debugging the kernel with a BDI2000 using GDB, exactlly
what i was looking for.

Thanks,

Fahd

Re: Need Sample MPC860 Code

google should point you directly to project page at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot

Yes, we have all officialy released version on out FTP server at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot /

If you have the ELDK installed, just look in
/opt/eldk/ppc_8xx/usr/src/u-boot*

Wolfgang Denk