Need information about embedded systems

I have heard that public key encryption and related cryptologies need

32bit processors to execute at a reasonable rate. If this is not true, please correct me.

Could someone recommend a cheap 32bit development board, preferably with an ethernet MAC (I should be able to get transceiver, magnetics, and connector if need be).

Also what are the pros/cons of using a MCU with and without a MMU? Is programming significantly more difficult without one?

--David

Reply to
David

That all depends on what you mean by reasonable. An 8-bit uP with a hardware multiply will do quite well. For RSA you need to multiply and take remainders for numbers with more that 1000 bits. That can be done 8 bits at a time.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan (Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)

Reply to
Robert Scott

Well I need to be able to encrypt 256 bits in less than 5 sec. or generate a 256 bit key with DH key exchange in the same time. Also any suggestions on cheap development kits

--David

Reply to
David

In article , David writes

As most smart cards used to be 8 bit (8051 a lot of them) and had RSA you clearly don't need a 32 bit processor. Though to be fair a lot of them also tended to have a crypto engine on them.

BTW define "reasonable" :-)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

"David" wrote

Define 'reasonable'. PKE was common on 4.77MHz 8088 XT's.

The obverse. For a stand-alone application it is easier without one.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

"David" wrote

The 32 byte memory requirement shouldn't be much of a strain. A 32-bit processor with an MMU may not be needed.

As for speed, I don't think anyone makes a processor this slow anymore.

Pick anything you want. If this is a 'one-of' then a "Basic Stamp" would work fine. Otherwise, use whatever you have at hand and are familiar with.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Nicholas O. Lindan

Well the problem is: the ones I've seen range from more than my car now ($2000) to more than my car when I bought it a few years ago ($5000).

Is it possible to build yourself a development kit (with a good chance of success) cheaply from an available MCU? Or buy a reasonable priced kit?

As I said, correct me if an 8 or 16 bit MCU will do. Suggestions of suitable kits would be appreciated.

Also I would prefer not having to write my own TCP/IP stack or buying one for $1000+. So if it is a product with a freely available TCP/IP stack, the happier I be. Also what are your thoughts on the MMU?

--David

Reply to
David

The device will need to do the following things:

NTP client to update RTC Custom server protocol for configuring device with encryption of communication Main program that will output particular data to certain peripherals (IR/RF encoders -> IR/RF blasters) at particular times as configured by client over TCP/IP through integrated ethernet.

If all this can be smushed into one program then I guess I don't need a MMU or OS. But I don't if it will work well.

--David

Reply to
David

A better aproach which I took when implementing a design which used AES as the crypto system was to design an fpga which did the bulk of the encryption/decryption and a smal cheapo processor to get the results on and off the board and handle the key scheduling. This saved a lot of processor time as its very easy to pipeline the aes algo within the fpga.

Reply to
Jezwold

I implemented a *very* non-optimal "big number" library and DH key exchange, and was amazed at how long it took to execute on an MPC860.

I also implemented DES, which didn't seem too heavy weight. The key exchange was by far the most processor intensive part of the process.

I did this for "fun", and I really don't have any encryption experience other than that. Just thought it might be an "interesting" data point.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

You might have a look at

Both 32-bit, ~60MHz ARM eval boards there sell for about $300 USD, have 10BaseT ethernet, a CompactFlash connector, RTC. and come with a minimal port of lwIP (an open-source TCP/IP stack). There are several gcc (as well as reasonably low-cost commercial) distributuons available on the internet that are suitable for development tools

Regards

-Bill Knight

Reply to
Bill Knight

again, what is reasonable ? Some implementations use FPGAs to do as much in parallel as possible. AFAIK, the Rhyndael/AES is available as core.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar