Need help locating a small cheap LCD

Hi all.
I am a trying to design a portable device using a Renesas microcontroller
and I need a small, cheap LCD display. Can anyone recommend any LCD or
company that produces it? It can be character or dot-based. If character,
then I need at least two lines. If anyone has any suggestions, I would
greatly appreciate it.
Chris

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

There are many many sources of character LCDs. Look for 'hd44780',
which is the standard controller for such displays (clones are OK
too).

I sell a such a 16x2 LCD, see
    http://www.voti.nl/winkel/producten_1.html#LCD-2
for an easier interface you might consider a (more expensive) LCD with
a serial interface, like
   http://www.voti.nl/winkel/producten_1.html#LCD-4
or google for 'serial backpack' or 'LCD serial interface'.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

In the UK Rapid sell a 16x2 (by Powertip) for 6.50 in ones. But beware:
the line displays take significantly more current (about 1-2mA) than
segment LCDs, and  for a portable thingy you'll have to have some means
of turning the power on and off.

Paul Burke

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

I buy cheap 16x2 LCD's for 7 (GB Pounds) + VAT each (20+ price) from
http://www.milinst.com /

This is the cheapest I have found and the quality is superb.

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

Is that cheap? I sell 16x2 for 7.50 *Euro* (no minimum quantity).

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

Form what you quote you may have found yourself a new customer next time I
need to break out my soldering iron :)

Re: Need help locating a small cheap LCD

What about 4x20 Blue LCD's. I get mine from Hungary atm for approx 26 (GB
Pounds each) no minimum?

Site Timeline